Plot produce productions

• 86 Replies

Beekissed

Re: Plot produce productions
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2015, 20:15 »
Still going...have huge bowls of tomato juice currently on the table waiting to be canned.  Will still be doing corn and tomatoes next week also.  So far....

30 qt. sweet corn
27 qt. salsa
10 qt. tomatoes
3 qt. chicken
2 qt. sauce
8 qt. mixed veggies
42 pt. hot pepper butter(more like a spread or jam)
8 pt. green beans
1 lonely pt of peaches  :lol:

Will likely can/jar/bottle 30 more qt. of sweet corn next week and half doz. or so more mixed veggies(tomatoes, hot and sweet peppers, sweet corn, onions, yellow squash, chives). 

Then we'll pause until the apples are ripe, then will be getting out the copper kettle to do sauce and apple butter, along with a few pints of pie filling. 

After that and a little further into fall comes deer meat and chicken.  Then we will be done!  Yay!   :)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2015, 05:50 »
I did start to keep check but somehow got lost. Will re-organise but I have a tall cupboard full of goodies and a freezer full, plus the milk freezer and potatoes and garlic in the cellar. Some things have survived the drought here, others have withered. Such is life

Now, where's the seed catalogue.....

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2015, 08:09 »
A productive session in the kitchen yesterday  :)

Beans pickled with lemon and rosemary, plus raw raspberry jam.  The jam isn't actually raw of course, but its an old recipe where you don't boil it like a traditional jam.

The pickles are actually a vinegar and brine mix which you waterbath.  There is a bit of sugar in there as well so I'm hoping for a light salad style pickle.  The beans, rosemary and garlic were all home grown, but I had to give in and buy the lemon.  My growing skills do not extend to citrus fruits I'm afraid  :lol:

http://rosemarried.com/2011/08/31/preserving-the-harvest-pickled-green-beans-with-rosemary-and-lemon/

tosca100

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2015, 09:40 »
Today....lots of lovely honey. :D

Bohobumble

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Bucks allotment. Heavy clay. Hardiness zone 8a. Ave last frost 1st-10th Apr. First Frost 1st-10th Nov
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2015, 10:25 »
Ooh this is good, I need some ideas, my village show is over the bank holiday weekend and I haven't entered before. I am not one for big, straight or uniform veg, tho I do like making preserves and chutney etc.

I've left it a little late to make a chutney perhaps as it won't have time to mellow, besides I'm not sure anyone would like a courgette based chutney!

So, my options are something with any of the following:
Rhubarb
Tomatoes
Onion

Or my (French/runner) beans that are about 1cm now might be big enough to make something the day before...

Tho I could always make a courgette cake...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2015, 11:24 »
Ooh this is good, I need some ideas

Have you had a look at the recipe section on the main site?  There are loads of ideas on there if you are searching for inspiration. 

I did a search on rhubarb and there is a rhubarb and orange jam that sounds good, plus a rhubarb marmalade that would be a little bit different  :)

http://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/?s=rhubarb

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2015, 12:11 »
The rhubarb and vanilla jam recipe I got from here is amazing! It is now my second favourite jam after real blackcurrant jam!

tosca100

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2015, 13:15 »
Rhubarb and vanilla curd is scrummy if there's a class for it.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2015, 18:16 »
A mixed tomato chutney does not take long to mellow out BohoBumble so you could try that perhaps.

I saw that recipe too New Shoot and am going to have a go at it tomorrow... French beans at the ready  ;)  It does sound delicious and I hope it is a nice crunchy side addition to our winter curries etc
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

allotmentann

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2015, 13:16 »
Ooh this is good, I need some ideas, my village show is over the bank holiday weekend and I haven't entered before. I am not one for big, straight or uniform veg, tho I do like making preserves and chutney etc.

I've left it a little late to make a chutney perhaps as it won't have time to mellow, besides I'm not sure anyone would like a courgette based chutney!

So, my options are something with any of the following:
Rhubarb
Tomatoes
Onion

Or my (French/runner) beans that are about 1cm now might be big enough to make something the day before...

Tho I could always make a courgette cake...

Hugh Fearnely has a recipe for chutney called Courgette Gluttony - anyway it is really, really good and everyone loves it. :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2015, 15:01 »
Autumn Bliss raspberries in the dehydrator are todays project and the house smells, well blissful  :D

A plot neighbour wants me to look up marrow rum.  Its the only way he can convince me to take one off him  :lol:  We are both going to have a go, so if anyone has a tried and tested recipe  :)  :)  :)

Beekissed

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2015, 17:19 »
Raspberries!!!  YUM!   :)  It was a great year for berries over here in the eastern US due to all the rain and cool weather at the beginning of spring.  Doesn't mean I got a single berry at my place as the animals all got them before me, but it was a great year all the same. 

Today I'm doing some stripping of the garden.  Will likely have to do it a couple more times as things are still in production, though not like at full harvest, so small batches of things to can from here on out...mostly slumgulleon so I can use all the different veggies to make a larger batch of food to can. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2015, 18:01 »
I've got 12 jars of seedless strawberry jam and 5 (smaller) jars of redcurrant jelly, so far.

Tomorrow it will be passata time ..... unless the sun appears  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2015, 17:59 »
We had a modest crop of plums from our small tree, but there are only so many you can eat  ::)  The remainder have gone into the makings of plum and vanilla brandy today. 

Nice for presses and also for me to sip on a dark winter evening, when summer's abundance seems a long time ago  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2015, 18:19 »
I was getting a bit overwhelmed with produce, so today has seen some major action to try and clear the fridge.

Raspberries have been frozen and there are cherry tomato slices, garlic and herb flavoured courgette chunks, green beans and Huauzontle in the dehydrator.

On the preserves side, from left to right, Greek Cypriot style pickled cukes, beetroot chutney and Bulgarian style garden pickles, all courtesy of recipes from on here  :D

The fridge was empty, but I have just picked a load more tomatoes from the greenhouse, so the fight goes on  :lol:

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 36 queries.