Ask and yee shall receive

• 30 Replies

green_lolly

Ask and yee shall receive
« on: April 07, 2015, 22:30 »
A neighbouring house had a house clearance company in as the tenants had left. Got chatting to one of the lads and asked for some scrap timber I'd spotted.

"No problem" he replied, "Do you want to come in and have a look at what else there is? Take anything else you want, it's all going in a skip"

Well I was in there like a rat up an aqueduct and got

Lots of timber
2 watering cans
Loads of large plant pots and planters
A garden bench
Rigid plastic netting
A strimmer
Various recycling containers

A magnificent haul! I could have had a dishwasher too but no room in my kitchen.
diary http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=118734.0

photos on Instagram - user name also green_lolly

Bohobumble

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Bucks allotment. Heavy clay. Hardiness zone 8a. Ave last frost 1st-10th Apr. First Frost 1st-10th Nov
Re: Ask and yee shall receive
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 23:03 »
argh Freecycle! I hate to see things thrown away to landfill when they're perfectly good.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 08:57 »
Some people have all the luck  :lol:

Ema

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 22:27 »
Wow Christmas came early! I will remember this - don't be afraid to ask!

green_lolly

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 08:43 »
I hate to see waste of any kind really.  If you just start up a conversation people are extremely generous.  I bought something off eBay the other week and when I went to collect and got chatting about my new allotment the seller gave me some other things that he couldn't be bothered listing.

I also love fishing things out of skips and rescuing them from the dump.  Years ago I was out on a first date with some flash lad who thought he was the bees knees in his sports car.  He took me to a country pub but I spotted a wicker Lloyd-Loom type chair on a pile waiting for the dustmen and made him stop and cram it into his car. His face was a picture! He was too polite to say no - bless him.  The relationship went nowhere but I still have the chair  ;)

Aled

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 11:34 »
Nice one green-lolly
I love skip diving. Over the years, wood for various purposes, chicken wire for a leaf compost, various magazines, a library card box, a set of draws from a medical trolley, and empty paint buckets (they make great bait buckets)
I always have a look in a skip.
Cheers
Aled

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 12:33 »

Saw a long plastic tray leaning up against a bin.  Knocked on the house door and the bloke said I could have it and did I want any decking (no, I did not hit him to get in first),  but I now have the material to make more :ohmy: shelves in my shed and to make a rather natty surround for the potato grow bags the mamsahib has outside the conserve.   Got to know a new 'chum' who's into motorcycles, Jap jobs, but still bikes.

Always pays to ask!              Cheers,  Tony
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Aled

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 14:45 »
Found a mesh plastic try, which combined with some old foam will make an ideal shhoting seat.
Cheers
Aled

cadalot

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 15:05 »
Blow-a-way frame off freecycle will house my dwarf cherry tomatoes 
2015-04-28 Freecycle Blowaway.jpg

green_lolly

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 06:53 »
At last!  I know what a blow away greenhouse is now!

cadalot

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 06:56 »
At last!  I know what a blow away greenhouse is now!

Any cheap temporary greenhouse/ grow house that thinks it's a kite  :nowink: The lady who put this on freecycle could not source a new cover for it as it had a top that I have taken off - but they make cheap staging, and at the end of the season the likes of Wilko sell them off dirt cheap. You can reuse the bits to make cages once the skins and zip have broken.
Cage Made from Blow-a-way Parts.jpg
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 07:38 by cadalot »

andimac

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 07:17 »
I went along to where there are new houses being built to see if they had any unwanted pallets. Came away with lots of bits of timber and some double sized ones! They now form the walls and roof of my nice new woodshed..and the normal ones built my compost bins wooho!

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 17:06 »
Was having a glass of wine sitting outside a local pub, the planters were being refreshed. After chatting to the gardener came away with a lovely Choisya Ternata which is happily flowering in my front garden.. it would have gone on the skip so think that was a good result...  :)

Aled

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 09:35 »
Some nice wood from a skip last night, some will be used to make supports for my tomato growing trug, some for kindling, and one piece for a new style on the local fishing clubs stretch of water.
Cheers
Aled

Beekissed

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 15:43 »
I hate to see waste of any kind really.  If you just start up a conversation people are extremely generous.  I bought something off eBay the other week and when I went to collect and got chatting about my new allotment the seller gave me some other things that he couldn't be bothered listing.

I also love fishing things out of skips and rescuing them from the dump.  Years ago I was out on a first date with some flash lad who thought he was the bees knees in his sports car.  He took me to a country pub but I spotted a wicker Lloyd-Loom type chair on a pile waiting for the dustmen and made him stop and cram it into his car. His face was a picture! He was too polite to say no - bless him.  The relationship went nowhere but I still have the chair  ;)

:lol:  I LOVE this story!!!  That is exactly something I would do.  Love rescuing great things from the trash and have no compunction about doing so. 

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 37 queries.