Just tried this allergy free wacky cake, its all over the net

• 92 Replies

Beetroot Queen

Its disgusting, it has the weirdest taste on the planet. And it sunk right at the last minute.

I could forgive the sink if it tasted good but good grief people say this is the nicest cale ever

Pass me the bucket. No eggs in it but it tasted of rotten eggs  :unsure: anyone actually ever tried this...... Lardman maybe hes always trying wacky

Mrs Bee

Re: Just tried this allergy free wacky cake, its all over the net
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 16:35 »
Just looked at the ingredients.

Not surprised it tasted foul.

I have tried a few allergy  free cake recipes but none of them were up to much.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 16:46 »
People rave about it, it appeared on my news feed for the allergy group so I thought I ought to give it a go. Never again.

I have a super recipe from Snowdrops but I am always on the look out for new ones.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 17:51 »
... anyone actually ever tried this...... Lardman maybe hes always trying wacky

Someone call ?  ::) I'm sure I don't know what you mean  ;)   Besides Im still tinkering with the spice mix in Mrs Bee carrot cake.

After a quick gurgle - there doesn't seem to be anything offensive in it - nothing nice either though  :nowink:

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 19:16 »
Just had a look BQ & it's very like a fruit cake recipe I had that was really nice. I'll try & find it & post it for you, it always worked for me for DD. ;)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mrs Bee

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 19:21 »
... anyone actually ever tried this...... Lardman maybe hes always trying wacky

Someone call ?  ::) I'm sure I don't know what you mean  ;)   Besides Im still tinkering with the spice mix in Mrs Bee carrot cake.

You are tinkering with my spice mix! :ohmy: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ground cardamom is a good spice with that recipe, or leave it out and use lots of orange rind ;)

edit to fix quote
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 19:28 by mumofstig »

beesrus

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 19:31 »
Sorry to hear that BQ, as I've followed your family allergy problems.  I know this might sound trite, and it's not meant to be, but maybe mimics just aren't where it's at. I don't blame anyone for trying any sort of wonder food that might give some of the of the pleasure and none of the drawbacks, but normal cake has always been cake for certain reasons.  It's a behavioural/emotional thing in the end if a long term way of life is to be established without regret. It's the emotions that need training. Almost like us folk who don't eat meat... little point in eating "chicken style" this or that burger, and often it tastes like nothing on earth in any case, apart from the salt delivery. But then up pops fried haloumi cheese that ticks all those taste/emotional boxes without any of the baggage. I wish you good luck in your continuing quest. The foods that will suit your family are out there somewhere.

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 19:36 »
Ground cardamom is a good spice with that recipe, or leave it out and use lots of orange rind ;)

:ohmy: Oi get off - are you looking at my notes ?!

I've put ½ teaspoon of cardamom in the frosting ;) it really brings out the citrus.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 19:46 »

:ohmy: Oi get off - are you looking at my notes ?!

I've put ½ teaspoon of cardamom in the frosting ;) it really brings out the citrus.

Did I not tell you I was a witch. ;) 8)

I use lots of cardamom; it is used a lot in Scandinavian baking and I love the flavour.
It is also really good in coffee cake. I make a coffee, chocolate and cardamom biscotti to go with coffee.

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 19:57 »
Sorry to hear that BQ, as I've followed your family allergy problems.  I know this might sound trite, and it's not meant to be, but maybe mimics just aren't where it's at. I don't blame anyone for trying any sort of wonder food that might give some of the of the pleasure and none of the drawbacks, but normal cake has always been cake for certain reasons.  It's a behavioural/emotional thing in the end if a long term way of life is to be established without regret. It's the emotions that need training. Almost like us folk who don't eat meat... little point in eating "chicken style" this or that burger, and often it tastes like nothing on earth in any case, apart from the salt delivery. But then up pops fried haloumi cheese that ticks all those taste/emotional boxes without any of the baggage. I wish you good luck in your continuing quest. The foods that will suit your family are out there somewhere.

I assume, maybe wrongly that you chose to be meat free at and at an age when you can accommodate that choice yourself. When you have a child with intolerances or allergies you try to make life normal for them.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 21:09 »
All we are trying to find is a suitable alternative to what the rest of the family have, so when we eat chocolate cake the little ones can have chocolate cake.
Finding new foods for florence is highly important now she mixes with other children at pre- school as she is very aware that she is different, dont get me wrong for three she is amazing and will say its ok I know I cant have it but she should at least have a mum who is prepared to push the food boundaries and try her best, and that is my job from now until the day I die. Hell one day this girl may need an allergy free wedding cake, got to research early.  ;)

She is what she is and I wouldnt change her for the world but the soya and milk issue on top of the egg is difficult as it leaves little to substitute in a recipe.  ;)

muddled

• gone plotterin'
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 22:58 »
sorry,
I'm a bit late to this one....

Is your little one allergic to eggs and dairy?
Anything else?

My nephew has life threatening allergies to eggs, dairy, nuts, shellfish, certain E-numbers and so on. He's a grown man now and moved further away but I used to cook for him a lot. It was so hard to provide party food that his friends would enjoy and really difficult to put any weight on the boy!

If you let me know what to avoid I will see if I can dig out any of my old recipes.

LotuSeed

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 23:16 »
If you could list the things she's allergic to I wouldn't mind looking through some of my vegan cookbooks to see if anything can be tweaked.  Avoiding traditional ingredients can be overwhelming and seem more like a chemistry experiment !!!
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 14:12 »
Florence is allergic to eggs, milk, soya, peanuts and treenuts

Harry as of 9.30am today is now free from eggs, milk, soya, wheat and gluten.

Oh joy we have two weeks on and two weeks off for the next few months until we see a patten or change. Off to the health food shop for a look.

beesrus

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 16:34 »
BQ, have you looked at the paleo diet and it's philosophy. It's gluten free, dairy free and avoids all processed modern foods . One can always cut out the peanuts, and obviously soya and all grains are well off the menu. It basically goes back to a diet before we farmed as a species. It has many ideas on cakes and deserts, some raw, some cooked. Just a thought.
A friend and I used to own a natural healing centre and health shop. Allergy and it's difficulties was one of the biggest reasons people came to us.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 16:36 by beesrus »

xx
birthday cake

Started by chrissie B on Kitchen Natter

12 Replies
Last post October 15, 2015, 23:24
by chrissie B
xx
Cake tin advice please

Started by mrs bouquet on Kitchen Natter

3 Replies
Last post February 11, 2017, 17:37
by mrs bouquet
xx
That Special Cake.

Started by Pescador on Kitchen Natter

16 Replies
Last post October 18, 2017, 13:29
by Debz
clip
Birthday cake really chuffed

Started by Madame Cholet on Kitchen Natter

11 Replies
Last post January 13, 2015, 22:55
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 34 queries.