Fur loss

• 10 Replies

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
Fur loss
« on: August 11, 2014, 20:17 »
Indiie's fur has gone all thin and he has lost some on his ears, poor mutt.  I am guessing it's been due to the steroids he was on.  He's not on them any more, wasn't helped by a flea infestation either.  they have gone after while ( well they were pumped up fleas due to the steroids). I haven't taken him back to the vet as yet as it doesn't seem to bothering him to much but what I would like to know is if any of you have had this experience and does the hair grow back.  Where he was clipped is not growing back either.  I have started him cod liver oil just to try to help.  Poor fella has been through enough this year.
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

snowdrops

Re: Fur loss
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 21:03 »
Could some of it be because of the hot weather too? Poor Indie, I know how it is for him ;)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Lulu

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 22:32 »
I hope it is a moult that he going through too, but the loss on his ears is to much for that. Very flaky skin too, which was much better on the steroids.  He always has had dry skin anyway.  I'm putting some cream on his ears to discourage scratching - he likes me putting it on far too much :nowink:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 18:51 »
my Rosie suffers with seasonal alopecia and she lost lots of fur last October. It is only this last 2 weeks that the last of her bald patches have got fur so you may be in for a long wait.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lulu

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 21:23 »
Took him to the vet today as I was worried he may have contracted mange.  It's not thank goodness as he has no mites - the vet took scrapings.  But she did say he skin was quite bad and I left with a nutritional supplement, shampoo to applied twice a week, antibiotics and new flea stuff.  I told her about the flea issue he had suffered and she  tells me there are lots of complaints about it this year and the fleas seem to have developed a resistance to frontline :ohmy: Really pleased about that as I have just spent nearly £ 50 on it!!!!  I have to take him back in two weeks.  So we had fun tonight with a bath. - he loves the hair dryer and he always has to give the towel a good fight afterwards :lol: the vet thinks it's because he was so ill earlier that he has picked this up.  He doesn't seem ill at the moment just bald and itchy  ::). Just grateful I still have him.

Lulu

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 17:07 »
Finally a diagnosis!!  Can't believe this has taken so long.  Fungal infection called Ringworm which I remember catching of a cat in Cyprus when I was young.  The cat got euthanised but I lived on - poor puss.  No sign of us catching it from Indie thank goodness ( if we had we might have known what wrong earlier ::)). I have to pick up his treatment Tuesday as it needs to be ordered in.  and he's having his thyroid function tested again as the last one was inconclusive.  Hope this all ends soon - I have never spent so much time at the vets, all a consequence of his illness in May.  He's quite well though and I have bought him a waxed jacket for when it's really raining :nowink:

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 19:18 »
Good news you have a diagnosis but I'm surprised they couldn't diagnoses it sooner, I would have thought that would be one of the first they'd look for :(

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 21:35 »
the results from the scrape and any hair samples should have been back within 2 weeks, this seems to have taken far longer (we had them done for our Rosie).

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 21:36 »
Glad you got them back though and can now move forward.

Lulu

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 22:49 »
The vet said the same thing that it should have been back sooner so she was surprised as well.  She also said he is being a bit rare with his signs & symptoms and he's unusual!!!  Nice to have a special dog but I hope this is the last thing so fingers crossed for the thyroid function tests.

Lulu

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 21:59 »

I am hoping that this is the worst it gets

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 35 queries.