The reason I complain a lot about the bottom GH tomato

• 4 Replies

Lardman

is because they don't look like this !

This is the top GH, where I stuffed a few of the cast off plants,those which weren't good enough to keep.  ::) They have had very little care other than the occasion drenching.   They're in bottomless flower buckets filled with the greenhouse border sand soil.

:nowink:  :( The bottom GH should look entirely like this.
top_gh_toms.jpg

Snoop

Re: The reason I complain a lot about the bottom GH tomato
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 15:38 »
They do look lovely, I agree.

If this is your 'top' greenhouse, I presume it's a bit higher up than your other one. It could be that being higher up, it's a bit warmer in there at night.

Are your other plants in bottomless pots? That might make a difference as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 15:55 »
In your other greenhouse you're growing in pots - not sunk into the border, and not that big either IIRC, so they'll run out of water and nutrients quickly. Whereas those one in the border have a good root run.

You are not really comparing like with like, are you  :nowink:

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 16:30 »
I think the bottom GH pots are actually slightly larger  :unsure:  Picture attached. The buckets are taller slightly but have less width.

The top GH gets more early sun this time of the year snoop - but it's only about 6ft in difference in terms of height  ;)

In all the years I've grown in bottomless pots I don't actually think when I've lifted them there have been roots out of bottom. I do take your point about water and nutrient run off though, also I wonder about the roots getting too hot ? Sitting in a black plastic pot in screaming sunlight can't be much fun, whereas the sunken pots must be cooler.

I have mused over building beds in the bottom GH of late.... not sure yet.
pots.jpg
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 16:31 by Lardman »

Snoop

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 16:44 »
I had a bodged greenhouse once, till it was destroyed by the weight of snow on top of it. I regret its passing every year. I look at the spot where it stood every day and wish I still had it instead of a load of makeshift cold frames.  :(

But to get to the point, I grew tomatoes, peppers and chillies in large black pots standing in saucers in there. The air got so hot in there it was impossible to spend more than three seconds in there in the afternoon (44 ºC in the shade, no idea how hot it was in the greenhouse as the thermometer broke). Amazing conditions. I had to water twice a day. The best peppers and chillies I ever grew and we still talk about the tomatoes. OK, so it's sad we have nothing better to talk about from time to time, but they really were spectacular.

Maybe it's the extra sun. Apparently early morning sun makes a lot of difference. Might they get more sun in the evening too?

xx
Around the bottom of your toms.

Started by Lardman on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 22:54
by shokkyy
xx
tomato

Started by m1ckz on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post August 09, 2015, 10:33
by Goosegirl
xx
Tomato spacing

Started by Urbanite on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post January 16, 2023, 22:46
by Odders
xx
Tomato Plants

Started by carnie163 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 16:35
by angelavdavis

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 37 queries.