Brassicas

• 6 Replies

Elm street

• Experienced Member
Brassicas
« on: June 18, 2014, 11:10 »
Hi All,
I did not get my new plot until late this spring so I'm late with most plantings etc.
I did plant out brassica seeds but only a few have come to anything, possibly 10 plants from a variety of seeds sown.
Seeds sown were cauliflower, spring cabbage, broccoli, swede and turnips!
My question is, is it better to sow direct or to sow in modules/seed trays presumably earlier in the year?

Thanks for any advice it will come in useful for next year!

Mel
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:11 by Elm street »

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Re: Brassicas
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 11:13 »
I always sow in modules that way if they don't germinate it's a little bit of soil to throw and then just start again. When they do germinate you can then pot them on into a bigger pot which give the plants time to get bigger and stronger and less are lost to whatever may attack them in the ground. I sow very little seeds directly I  the ground the only ones being carrots and parsnips all others I grow in modules.

3759allen

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 11:22 »
still not too late to sow some more, depending on how hard the winter is. i still had brassicas growing in jan/ feb this year.

personally i germinate in seed trays, close together, in a little line. then dib out singularly into modules until they're big enough to plant out.

the hardest thing i find is to harden them off properly, i get too impatient and forgetful. lol

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 11:42 »
Thanks for the responses!
I have some seedlings in the conservatory, I don't have a greenhouse yet, but they look very leggy even though they only have their first leaves still.
Can you plant them deeper to take up the longer stalk?

Thanks,
Mel

beesrus

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 11:54 »
Virtually everyone on our site, including me. sows their brassicas in modules/pots, then pot on and /or then transplant out of doors.
Apart from the earlier sowing times that affords, the main idea is to get a good root system established to ward off the typical brassica pests and disease that can decimate young seedlings' roots out of doors.
Also most people don't eat huge numbers of plants so it's not that onerous for the number of plants.
Almost everyone also nets their brassicas against birds on allotment sites.

Brassicas, especially swede and PSB, often look quite leggy in their pots. Not a problem and yes, it's actually almost imperative to transplant them up to their first leaves as this helps to keep them firm in the ground. They really do not like being rocked and blown about.
Still plenty of  time to get the right brassicas up and running.

3759allen

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 18:32 »
i would start taking them outside during the days to start hardening off, and they will get better all round sunlight.

you will have to look out for butterflies if you can't net them yet.

RaptorUK

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 19:10 »

you will have to look out for butterflies if you can't net them yet.

. . . and Pigeons,  they have been at my Savoy cabbage seedlings . . . I'm working as fast as I can making my 2nd brassica cage.

xx
brassicas Mrs!

Started by Gwiz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 22, 2006, 19:50
by comic_muse
xx
brassicas

Started by matty42 on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post January 01, 2010, 20:07
by Kristen
xx
Brassicas- what do I do with them all?!

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 10:42
by compostqueen
xx
Do I need brassicas?

Started by Katejs on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post January 02, 2012, 12:31
by BabbyAnn

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 36 queries.