Planted out tomatoes in polytunnel.

• 11 Replies

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
Planted out tomatoes in polytunnel.
« on: April 20, 2014, 19:07 »
Looked at the forecast for the next two weeks for littkehampton and they lowest night temperature is about 6 degrees.

And then we are into May.

I've thrown some fleece over them. Do you think they'll be ok?
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

Totty

Re: Planted out tomatoes in polytunnel.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 19:11 »
Depends what you mean by ok.
Will they live, sulk, but ultimately give a crop of some description? probably yes.
Will they thrive, grow on strongly, love the fact they have been planted out too early and give a bumper crop? Doubtful!

Totty

Steveharford

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 19:38 »
Last year I planted mine out in the PT on the 27th April. They didn't appear to suffer. At the moment, although all mine are sat in the pt in their smaller pots they don't look quite advanced enough to move them on just yet. In any case I would have to prep the compost in the bigger pots and get it warmed up first. Might start that later this week while it's rainy.

m1ckz

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 08:53 »
mine have been in PT 2 weeks now an look fine so  we wait an see lol

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 10:13 »
i'm playing it safe and have mine in pots in the pt, and bring them in if overnight temps are forecast below 8 degrees. still a bit too much risk of a cold over night snap for me. i'll re pot to larger pots if/ when it's needed.

snow white

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 12:34 »
Mine are in the garden in the day and my windowsill at night.  Will wait a bit longer till they arin my pt all the time.

Headgardener22

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 17:56 »
Looked at the forecast for the next two weeks for littkehampton and they lowest night temperature is about 6 degrees.

And then we are into May.

I've thrown some fleece over them. Do you think they'll be ok?

It depends on the temperature in the polytunnel. Ideally you want it above 10C all the time (but also below 30C). The problem with all temperatures is that they are generalised and don't apply to your microclimate. Make sure you shut the doors on your polytunnel to keep the temperature up for as long as possible at night, and try it. Soil temperature is also important and there's not a lot you can do about that.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 19:00 »
Mine are all out some in tunnel some in greenhouse.

beesrus

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 19:18 »
This year I have my normal early starters fleeced up in the cold greenhouse and growing exceptionally well as usual. As an experiment this year I am also now sowing some other toms to catch the later " no hassle" method, to compare crops. I have a sneaking suspicion my earlier crop will do the best, but I'm quite happy to be surprised. In the end, it's all about crop size and the length of harvest season

Totty

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 19:43 »
This year I have my normal early starters fleeced up in the cold greenhouse and growing exceptionally well as usual. As an experiment this year I am also now sowing some other toms to catch the later " no hassle" method, to compare crops. I have a sneaking suspicion my earlier crop will do the best, but I'm quite happy to be surprised. In the end, it's all about crop size and the length of harvest season
Last year I did the same.
 50, early ( start of feb), 50 sown late march.
The earlier ones were also planted out around this time last year.
They grew ok, but took a while to get back upto speed after not enjoying the cooler nights. The later sown ones caught up after planting out though and cropped heavier for longer, I think because they recieved no check to growth. Regardless of how many people say, they look fine when put out early, they will still get checked by chilly nights. That is fact.
That's why this year, all 100, were sown on the same day, at the end of April.
Because if you ain't got heat, there is no advantage to early sowing.

Totty

3759allen

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 20:41 »
Last year I did the same.
 50, early ( start of feb), 50 sown late march.
The earlier ones were also planted out around this time last year.
They grew ok, but took a while to get back upto speed after not enjoying the cooler nights. The later sown ones caught up after planting out though and cropped heavier for longer, I think because they recieved no check to growth. Regardless of how many people say, they look fine when put out early, they will still get checked by chilly nights. That is fact.
That's why this year, all 100, were sown on the same day, at the end of April.
Because if you ain't got heat, there is no advantage to early sowing.

Totty

very interesting.

think i'll be taking this on board for next year. finding a bit of a chore making sure the plants don't go leggy and keep moving them in and out with damaging the plants.

think i'll be a late sower next year and save the hassle and hopefully improve the crop.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 06:48 »
My toms are still inside in 9cm pots and at the baby stage.  I usually start thinking about moving them out to the greenhouse mid may, but I am in the south east and my greenhouse is sheltered.  Its not heated though and that's why I hang back a bit as well.  Later sowings do grow faster and seem stronger for me  :)

The sweetcorn has only just been sown and just starting to think about cukes, courgettes and squash.  I did sow cucamelons early as they were so painfully slow to get going last year, but they proved me a liar and grew like mad  ::)  They are in the greenhouse and have been fleeced on cooler nights.  So far, so good  ;)

xx
Tomatoes in a polytunnel

Started by stainesbloke on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

11 Replies
Last post June 09, 2013, 01:52
by shokkyy
xx
Tomatoes in the Polytunnel

Started by Hey Jude on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 14:13
by kitch
xx
polytunnel...

Started by radster on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

8 Replies
Last post January 17, 2012, 05:07
by fuzzy1983
xx
Polytunnel or no polytunnel

Started by sion01 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post February 11, 2013, 15:26
by Headgardener22

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 36 queries.