Will tomatoes benefit?

• 13 Replies

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
Will tomatoes benefit?
« on: April 17, 2014, 16:07 »
Hi Guys,

Need some advice please, I will be potting on my tomatoes over the weekend they will be going into grow bags in my greenhouse, they will be on these.

http://www.alanwadkinstoolstore.co.uk/accessories-c3/garden-c114/watering-c68/2810-growbag-waterer-with-15-litre-resevoir-p22041?gclid=CMLTyMXk570CFWvjwgodbUQAdw#24205

I was wondering if they would benefit from being potted on into a bigger pot then put onto the grow bag (bottom cut off) or will they do just as well planted straight into the grow bag?

Thanks

title edit for search purposes
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 17:04 by mumofstig »
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Will tomatoes benefit?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 17:38 »
Is your greenhouse heated? It's still a bit cold at night for tomatoes even in an unheated greenhouse imo.

Totty

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 17:59 »
Sorry, I think there must be something wrong with the link, as I'm sure that said 18+ quid! for an item that waters one grow bag. :ohmy: :nowink: is that really something people consider buying?

With the grow bag that's more than 20 quid for three plants, mental.

Get some good sized pots, fill them with good compost, and forget grow bags. They dry out too quick, get too hot, and get full of ants. Can you think of anything else that grows well in just a few inches of soil? They are better when cut in half and stood up, so as to create two deep pots.

Totty

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 18:52 »
The idea seems OK, but the price doesn't (as Totty says that's a pretty hefty additional cost per growbag, and even though the main piece of the kit should last for years the wicks need replacing every year.)

It may be worthwhile for those who don't have friendly or competent friends, family or neighbours, or those who don't actually calculate the cost of growing their own (who might possibly think 'hmmmmm?'), or even those who don't believe that playing around with odd bits of tubing with holes in connected to their water butts is their idea of fun!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 19:43 »
I connected one of these kits to my water butt yesterday - it's working a treat  :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hozelock-Water-Butt-Border-Watering-Kit-/251493423635?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a8e2d1a13

It has 12 drippers, so waters 12 tomatoes.

But to answer your question - yes, they would benefit from having the extra soil in the pot.

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 19:55 »

HI Guys,

It might seem a lot to start with (I got them for £12 each) but the reason I have set it all up is because i'm a fisherman and work long days, I wanted to make it a lot easier for the wife to do all the watering.

mumofstig thanks i will use a pot.

Dan
Water1 (600 x 450).jpg
water5 (600 x 450).jpg

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 19:56 »
some more  :nowink:
water2 (600 x 450).jpg
water7 (600 x 450).jpg

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 19:58 »
I connected one of these kits to my water butt yesterday - it's working a treat  :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hozelock-Water-Butt-Border-Watering-Kit-/251493423635?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a8e2d1a13

But to answer your question - yes, they would benefit from having the extra soil in the pot.

These look good for the polytunnel.

sarajane

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 20:14 »
I use growbags for tomatoes but actually tip the contents (mixed with very well rotted manure) into deep buckets.  This way there is more depth for the 'water' roots to grab more moisture.

Oh, and make sure you fleece your plants in the evening  -  just in case there is a frost

3759allen

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 20:37 »
if it were me i would i would use a 1.5l bottle, cut the base off and sink where the top used to be into the soil of the grow bag. admittedly not self watering but gives the water to where it needs it, just fill the bottle once a day.

i used this for my toms and cucs last year, admittedly these were planted straight into the ground but principles the same. and it's free.

i would say a bit too early to leave outside unheated all the time. mine are in pots and if forecast for less than 7 degrees i'll bring them inside over night. i almost got caught out a couple of weeks ago, but think i got away with it.

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 21:03 »
last year I struggle to keep the toms water.

Totty

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 08:28 »
Using grow bags?

Totty

Headgardener22

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 09:54 »

These look good for the polytunnel.

I've used one of these in the polytunnel for a couple of years. The only disadvantage I've found is that about halfway through the year the drippers get bunged up and you need to clean them out. The most effective way I've found is to connect the pipe to the tap and drive water through whilst shaking the dripper.

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 16:00 »
they were in growbags jamie oliver ones. Headgardener22 think i might give it a go.

xx
Would I benefit from a small polytunnel on my allotment?

Started by Stratts on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 19:30
by sunshineband
xx
Tomatoes

Started by colinc on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

10 Replies
Last post July 28, 2023, 10:19
by Hortic
xx
tomatoes

Started by archies plot on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 00:42
by Paul Plots
xx
Tomatoes

Started by Austin Brownlee on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2015, 12:39
by Dave NE

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 36 queries.