Heritage Seed Library

• 2 Replies

Asherweef

Heritage Seed Library
« on: December 18, 2013, 18:55 »
I've had a look in the history and went to reply to a previous post and it advised to 'start a new topic'... So if I've done wrong - feel free to merge and tell me off!

I've just joined the Cottage Garden Society (not a bad membership for the articles you get, I think) and stumbled upon the heritage seed library. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of it/whether it's worth what you pay. I saw that DD has been a 'seed guardian' but unsure as to what that means.

Also - and hence my reason for the new topic - I've had a look at Garden Organic. I've seen a few posts from members referring to the 'site so any opinions on them would be appreciated too! I'd only like to join the ones that I'd find beneficial but I do like the idea of heritage veg and flowers... In all, I will probably leave it a few months before I join but I like to think on this...

NickoV

• Location: East coast of Lincolnshire, a mile from the sea, on a marsh, heavy clay.
    • Marshland Permaculture Interest Group
Re: Heritage Seed Library
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 18:37 »
We have been members for the last few years and have really enjoyed getting the catalogue and choosing our 6 varieties. Some, like Chrystal Plum tomatoes and Balder celeriac, we have grown ever since. Some we don't bother with again.But that is part of the fun  :)

We are waiting for this years catalogue now.

We are also seed guardians. This means we can choose a further two varieties from a different list, as long as we save seed from them and send a good proportion back to the HSL for their stocks.

Nick
These are just my opinions based on what I have read, the filters my brain uses as a product of my upbringing, and the experiences I have had growing food. I am not intending to convince anyone I am right, just supply my opinion when it is asked for. I am also open to changing my opinions! Nick

AnneB

Re: Heritage Seed Library
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 19:21 »
I really enjoy choosing my six varieties and you get the chance for 2 lucky dips too.   My Balder celeriac was a disaster, but this year I had wonderful success with Sutton's purple podded peas and Coco Blue tall beans.   Some really good tomatoes too, especially Lima Korai and Aranyalma.

I haven't become a seed guardian yet as my plot although allegedly full size is not that big and I don't have much space, especially as I am a seedaholic and cram a small amount of many different crops in.  I do save all the seed though for next year.

If you like to try varieties not available elsewhere, are interested in maintaining our seed base suited to small gardens then I would say join.

xx
heritage seed library

Started by asd1 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 01, 2011, 16:04
by asd1
xx
Heritage seed library

Started by Sprouts on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 12, 2011, 11:05
by crh75
question
Heritage Seed Library Question

Started by tode on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 21, 2009, 08:09
by DD.
xx
Opinions please . . . on Heritage Seed Library

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 30, 2008, 21:34
by yewtreemob

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 34 queries.