What size brush?

• 5 Replies

Goldfinger

What size brush?
« on: October 01, 2013, 21:04 »

Before we light our woodburner this year, I need to have the chimney swept again.

Last time it was done, we used the (flexible) poly type brush on rods, from the bottom up over.

This time though, I want to use the metal type 'flat' bristle brush for a more thorough job, I feel the poly brush was not stiff enough.

Just the problem is, what size brush for a 9" brick flue? I know the poly type would just flex about up the flue, but the metal type have to be only slightly bigger than the flue - but just how much bigger, 2 inches or more?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: What size brush?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 07:58 »
This might be of use:

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/3-different-types-of-chimney-brushes-explained

Also, if you google, there are discussions on green living forums, one particularly detailed about flue size, shape and construction in relation to brush size and material.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Goldfinger

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 19:31 »

Finally!  :happy:

Thanks Argula, I've been looking on many green forum sites and general web sites, to see what actual size brush I needed for the size flue I have, but they never said 'if it this size - you need that size brush'.  ::)

Think I'll get a larger brush and then trim it to the shape and size (square) for our flue.

Ta again.  ;)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 19:54 »

Think I'll get a larger brush and then trim it to the shape and size (square) for our flue.

Don't you have to twist the brush clockwise as you push it up and pull it down to make sure it doesn't come unscrewed up the chimney ?

grinling

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 08:56 »
Does your home insurance cover you for sweeping your chimney. Last year uninsured people sweeping chimneys on the cheap caused fires.

Goldfinger

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 10:44 »
Does your home insurance cover you for sweeping your chimney. Last year uninsured people sweeping chimneys on the cheap caused fires.

Didn't know that...?  :blink:

Anyway, I wouldn't be doing it on the cheap, like one sweep - up - down - done. It would be done several times.

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 35 queries.