Bindweed

• 4 Replies

kelzy

• http://www.bebo.com/kelzy1236
Bindweed
« on: September 19, 2006, 21:28 »
Hi ,    I have looked on the Internet to find out what you should do with bindweed, I have been pulling it out of the ground and been putting  it in the compost bin, then i had a thought, am I doing the right thing here
or should i just burn it, and get rid of it ?  I'm not sure what to do with it really.
I have just started on my new  plot, it was fall of weeds and then the council  rotorvated it, but now the weeds have started to pop up again, I have covered one half of my plot with a black sheeting and have been digging out the weeds on the other half, But  what should I be thinking about doing next as I think it might be best to leave the ground over winter, and start the planting in march. unless it's best to start sooner. can anyone give me some good advice about what's best to do.

much appreciated.

kellyanne.
Kelzy

noshed

Bindweed
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 22:23 »
There's good article on here about clearing a new allotment. Broadly, rotovating can result in bindweed city but I've just kept pulling it up and you can keep it at bay.
Dig in some compost or rotted manure and sow some broad beans - think about some fruit trees soon - rasberries and things. Grow what you like to eat. if it doesn't work, there's always next year.
Get some books out of the library but I've found Grow Your Own Veg by Joy Larkom useful.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Bindweed
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 09:33 »
If you dig over, you need to get all those bts of white root out. Can be a big job to say the least. You can encourage it to grow up sticks and then glyphosate the leaves. That is pretty effective with bindweed as it kills the roots.

I'm not a big one for burning but I'd be cautious about composting bindweed roots- you can leave them in a black plastic sack for a year and that will kill them. I thought drowning for six weeks worked but some came back from that!
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Novice

• Experienced Member
Bindweed
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 14:10 »
Yeah Kelzy, ditto John....re compost or drowning. These things are uber-weeds and will just keep coming back. ( Remember the cartoon "and the cat came back the very next day" Thats bindweed that is )
I made the novice mistake of putting loads of the carefully dug out spiral roots, onto TWO compost heaps - along with couchgrass roots. Now I'm going to have to empty them out at some point, and remove them all.
Doh !

kelzy

• http://www.bebo.com/kelzy1236
bindweed
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 15:17 »
Thanks for some of the advice, I take it that it's best to get rid of,and seeing as I'm pulling out all the weeds alone it is a big job,  hubby has dug the beds over that we are going to use which has been helpful, I do have  another question, After weeding do we then have to make trenches, or can we just plant and then do the trenching next year ? as I believe the ground hasn't been used for a couple of years, and it's really good soil. hubby say's it looks good enough to plant things in.

xx
Bindweed

Started by decaff on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 24, 2011, 07:26
by decaff
xx
Bindweed!!!!!

Started by mobilekat on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 14:56
by Mrs Bee
xx
Bindweed re-growth

Started by Ryan1uk on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post August 10, 2012, 16:39
by angelavdavis
xx
Bindweed and brambles everywhere :/

Started by Carla on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 19, 2010, 19:05
by pigeonpie

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 35 queries.