Allotment Pro Polytunnels

• 8 Replies

lottiegirl

Allotment Pro Polytunnels
« on: April 21, 2013, 18:57 »
Hi, this is my first post here so I hope I've posted in the right place!

After lots of research, lots of consideration for my hubby's wallet  :lol: I finally decided to purchase 10ft by 20ft Allotment poly tunnel at the cost of about £150.00. This is the type that has a green cover with lots of little squares on it. Hubby & mate trenched it in, put stakes at each corner, tied stakes to galvanised framework, cover went on and job was basically done!

I just wanted to say how pleased (at the moment) I am with it. It has withstood some high winds from last week -I spent the whole night worrying about the cover coming off!! But next morning it was fine.

Hubby & mate have just put some boards along the frame work which has enabled us to rotovate (very carefully) inside.

At the moment I only have a few onions and some strawberries (in pots) in the tunnel, have got toms, peppers, salad stuff, cucumbers, mouse melon etc growing and can't wait to see how this growing compares with the greenhouse and outside.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 19:04 by lottiegirl »

Kirpi

Re: Allotment Pro Polytunnels
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 20:03 »
Could you let me know (if it is allowed on this forum) where you purchased it from as my neighbour is planning to buy a similar size - for £650!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 20:16 »
ebay sells
them
This is the type that has a green cover with lots of little squares on it.
Just be aware that when other people have had them - the green plastic covers only last a couple of years before you have to buy another cover :(

lottiegirl

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 20:19 »
Hi Kirpi - purchased from a company called feelgood poly tunnels (hope that's allowed!!). They also sell on ebay under trade name grow ur own. I've noticed that the price is now £184.00 + delivery, my friend has just bought one at that price. (Still great value IMO). Their website also shows pictures of a customer who has put one up. Just a point to note: there are other companies that sell these type of tunnels at a cheaper price but they don't have 6 ventilation windows down each side, they don't have an extra wide door and the frame work is white coated (which flakes and rusts quickly). The company also sells replacement covers at a reasonable price. All in all I think that they are good value - as long as you realise that these are what I would term a starter tunnel. Hope this helps!

fatcat1955

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 21:56 »
I have one and the zip's that close the door have both failed. I made a timber frame and door and fitted this using the polythene from the zippered door.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 22:23 »
I've got one too. Very pleased in general, frame is very solid and it stands up well to winds. The fabric of the cover is fine, but the frame will wear through it if you don't use hot spot tape and the cloth bits (zip on door and tie backs on vents and door) don't stand up well to weather. I've fixed the door zips by using heavy duty stick on velcro but I suspect this won't last too long.

Fatcat - any chance of some idiot proof instructions for how to make/fit a door into this frame? I'd love to be able to do that because that's definitely the weak point of this tunnel, but I'm a total numpty at DIY stuff.

fatcat1955

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 22:40 »
I will take some pic's and attempt to upload them for you.

Steveharford

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 06:54 »
Hi shokky
I have done just that as the high wind was threatening to take my poly tunnel into the next county.
I made a simple door frame of 3x2 which I made the width to overlap the zips slightly. The tape of the zip was then screwed to the frame, and I then cut the polythene across the head of the frame to release the polythene door. I then made up another frame to fit inside the first frame. This was fixed with 3 hinges to swing out. I Then screwed the polythene door to the new timber door. The polythene was wide enough to overlap the edges of the door and screw through the zip tapes. I made a simple catch from a strip of wood with a screw through the middle into the frame which a quarter turn, turns it across the door to stop it swinging open.
I did of course have to fit a diagonal timber brace within the door to hold its shape. I also had to extend the timber frame across to the side tubes of the tunnel, and above the door to the centre tube. At the moment these are just held tightly in place with plastic ties as I had to do this in a panic. I will at some stage make a metal bracket to fix these areas properly. Sounds all a bit Heath Robinson but it is so much better than having to mess around with the zips, which were failing anyway.

grinling

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 09:19 »
please check with council concerning planning permission. A guy at my allotment had to get it after 10 years as someone complained.

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 37 queries.