Scraps and DEFRA's reply to me.

• 24 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Scraps and DEFRA's reply to me.
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 17:16 »
I grow a few tomatoes, potatoes etc on a vegetable patch in my garden. If I started a composting system (which I have been thinking of) and put my kitchen vegetable scraps on there, use it for the tomato plants and then allow my hens the odd tomato or 2 (that is if they haven't jumped up & pinched them anyway!) where does that leave me, legally.

One of the main reasons I was thinking of starting a compost heap though was to find a use for droppings & litter from the hens. Again, if I used this to fertilise e.g. said tomatoes , where on earth does that leave us?

Composting veg waste and using it to the veg garden has nothing to do with feeding kitchen waste to chickens - a completely different matter.
Feeding hens homegrown tomatoes is also perfectly legal as long as you don't cut them up in the kitchen :dry:

So please can we go back on topic !

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 18:19 »
Sorry Mum   :(
Anne

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 19:11 »
I guess you can sort your veg outside ie remove leaves peel ect for the hens, then take them inside to eat. They would never go near any animal products then.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 19:17 »
Correct - as soon as the veg gets into your kitchen then it is out of bounds to your chickens.
Staffies are softer than you think.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 00:11 »
We hang up fresh greens from the plots for our chooks.

They jump to get the fresh green leaves and broccoli - seem to enjoy it too! They stop pecking each other at least. ;)

My peelings, I keep for the compost bin. :)

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 03:43 »
The bit I don't understand about this is the council give us a green bin in which to put garden waste, cardboard and kitchen waste including cooked food.
So this could be left over food, a chicken carcass from a meal, I guess even uncooked chicken where we have say deboned a chicken.

This goes off to composting centre, then the bags of compost then appear back at our recycling centre for us to buy with no warnings on that it should not be put round freshly growing veg on the allotment. I'm always amazed!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 19:58 »
The bit I don't understand

It is not illegal to put kitchen waste into compost.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 21:06 »
The council's uses hot composting so the pathogenic bacteria don't survive - thus no need for warnings etc.

I would be more bothered about the bits of string and plastic and other rubbish that seem to appear in some bags of council compost.
My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 22:08 »
Please can we stay on topic 

this thread is about feeding scraps to poultry

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 22:26 »
Dear Ms Lyon,

Back yard hens and feed

Thank you for your email about feeding poultry food scraps.

The feeding to farmed animals (including backyard chickens) of catering waste, kitchen scraps, raw, partially cooked and cooked meat products is prohibited under EU animal by-products legislation, in order to control the potential introduction and spread of major exotic notifiable diseases. In the case of poultry, this includes Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI).

Kitchen scraps are every item of food that come from the kitchens of dwelling houses. This includes food originating from the kitchens of vegetarian homes which may still be of animal origin and could spread exotic diseases.

However, vegetable material originating outside the kitchen, which has not entered the kitchen, and which has not come into contact with material of animal origin in a dwelling house e,g vegetables grown in domestic gardens may be fed.

The reason for this strict approach is that vegetable material can easily get cross contaminated with material of animal origin in a kitchen environment and which can in turn present a disease risk if fed.

Full guidance is available from the Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency (AHVLA) website at:
HYPERLINK: http://animalhealth.defra.gov.uk/managing-disease/animalbyproducts/collection-feeding-abp/Ban-on-feeding-of-kitchen-scraps-to-pet-poultry-and-other-pet-farmed-animals.asp

Yours sincerely,

Tiyi Morris
Defra - Customer Contact Unit

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)

This email and any attachments is intended for the named recipient only. If you have received it in error you have no authority to use, disclose,
store or copy any of its contents and you should destroy it and inform the sender.
Whilst this email and associated attachments will have been checked for known viruses whilst within Defra systems we can accept no responsibility once it has left our systems.
Communications on Defra's computer systems may be monitored and/or recorded to secure the effective operation of the system and for other lawful purposes.

So this means that all countries in the EU are prohibited from feeding any food scraps that have come from your kitchen. There are no if's or buts or what ifs - it is illegal.
If you grow your own veg then so long as it doesn't enter into your house you can feed your chickens the fresh veg.

So that's all that needs to be said really.

Topic locked

xx
DEFRA Reply

Started by Markw on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 14:32
by mumofstig
xx
defra law

Started by nic_28 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 13, 2012, 22:29
by Squibbs
xx
Defra

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

44 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 09:24
by too many girls
xx
defra number

Started by MontyTom on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 09, 2008, 01:00
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 37 queries.