Tomatoes to transplant or not

• 8 Replies

ricky

Tomatoes to transplant or not
« on: March 23, 2018, 22:35 »
I have around 1000 tomatoes to transplant all different breeds  but it's this late frost I'm worried about , I've built a frame out of insulation  polythene inside the polytunnel and I intend burning a 100 watt bulb inside the frame to just heat the air just incase Jack frost shows his face, the tomatoes are ready to transplant but my question is should I hang fire another wee while or get licked in tomorrow and get transplanting thanks guy's

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Tomatoes to transplant or not
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 05:45 »
I would say hang fire, but whatever way you go,you are going to be struggling with that quantity. The forecast for Northern Ireland gives temperatures in the lower single digits overnight for the foreseeable future and tomatoes need a minimum temp of 10C, otherwise their growth can stall and it's difficult for them to get going again.

I'm afraid it's the old tale of if you're going to start things early, you need facilities for their aftercare. 
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

ricky

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 11:23 »
Cheers DD  nice warm days over here up to 15 c outside 25 c in the tunnels but night time down to -3c so I'm just waiting to get started the tomatoes now have 4 leaves on them but to transplant with these night conditions would be madness , hopefully over Easter the conditions will pick up the long evening are fantastic but this damned frost is a boyo

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 18:33 »
It's really down to light requirements for toms, as long as they're frost-free. They need to look upwards.

1,000 toms seems quite a lot to look after, so maybe some extra TLC is necessary, and that they can get away without being bunched too much, but I guess with that number, you have more experience than the usual half-dozener in the average green house!

ricky

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 21:18 »
Cheers growster I've been growing toms for 45 years  year by year it's getting tougher with different strains of blight and this year with the blowing frost and late frost  it's a challenge  but thank god I'm not depending on them it's a hobby , as for the 1000 toms I give alot of them away to friends and the local pensioners I grow on about 600 myself  and share the crop , I grew ferline again last year and tried mountain magic I have alot of blight problems it took out all mountain magic and some ferline so il be spraying with dithane even though they are supposed to be blight resistant happy growing my friends

ricky

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 08:58 »
Still no let up in this Baltic weather a cold east wind temperature 1 c this is the first time in over 40 years of growing that  I haven't transplanted before April and still no let up in the weather the plants are still in the propagator really strong between 4 and 6 leaves it would be a sin to put them in tunnel until it gets a tad warmer fingers crossed

LILLILEAF

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 09:11 »
I have evrey thing ready in the greenhouse for the toms to go in,just need nice weather when is it going to warm up?my plants are at least a foot tall,a matter of just being patient :wub:

ricky

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 08:12 »
Finally got all my tomatoes transplanted  and peppers  as well everything is going to be late this year, now over 50 packets of annual flowers to show in 2 or 3 stages nothing like putting yourself under pressure but come August it's like Chelsea flower show round here.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 12:19 »
now over 50 packets of annual flowers to show in 2 or 3 stages nothing like putting yourself under pressure but come August it's like Chelsea flower show round here.

That sounds wonderful  :) 

xx
Tomatoes

Started by Austin Brownlee on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2015, 12:39
by Dave NE
xx
Tomatoes

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post September 24, 2014, 16:11
by simonwatson
xx
Best Tomatoes

Started by spud on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

10 Replies
Last post October 12, 2014, 20:06
by LotuSeed
xx
Tomatoes

Started by colinc on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

10 Replies
Last post July 28, 2023, 10:19
by Hortic

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 40 queries.