wormy radishes

• 8 Replies

Caddi fuller-teabags

• Experienced Member
wormy radishes
« on: June 24, 2008, 18:21 »
Last year I planted a multicolour mix of radishes and they were fine - I was overjoyed to see how quickly they grew.  I lost some to a wormy creature (some sort of tiny maggot?) but at least 3/4 were fine.

This year I had to buy a new packet of seeds and got a different variety and about 1 in ten (if that!) of the radishes have no maggots.  Some look lovely until you cut into them; others you can tell as you pull them that they are crawling.  UGH!  I grew rows in two different places, and one row seemed to have less maggot, but there wasn't much in it.

Is there
(a) some organic way of ensuring that I get a decent crop?
(b) a variety that is resistant?
(c) some non-organic way of ensuring that I get a decent crop?

Would I be better growing Mouli?  Or would I be better growing more spring onions instead?
I get my kicks on Plot 66!

johnathome

wormy radishes
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 21:25 »
I'm no expert (first year)  but,

Quote from here
http://www.homesteadgarden.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1747.html

Reining in radish maggots

Radish maggots are the pale larvae of a tiny fly that burrow through the flesh of radishes, leaving behind slimy brown tunnels as they feed. Wilting foliage is one easy-to-spot symptom.

Once radish maggots infest your crop, there’s nothing you can do except pull the radishes and send them away in the trash. Don’t add them to the compost pile because more maggots will hatch to ruin the next crop.

Although the news isn’t good once your radishes are infested, there are ways you can prevent them from showing up in the future. These little critters are most active during cool, wet weather. As soon as you sow radish seeds, tent the planting with a floating row cover. You should be able to find one at your garden center. Tenting keeps the adult flies from laying eggs on the leaves as the radishes sprout. This will eliminate the larvae that would have dropped to the ground, ready to begin feeding on the tender roots.

Just make sure to cover the row completely and seal the edges of the cover with soil or rocks. Keep the radishes covered during the entire growing season so no flies can get in.

Rotating crops also helps discourage this pest. Since radishes are in the mustard family along with cabbage, broccoli and turnips, rotate them with a different family of crops, such as peas, beans, tomatoes or even herbs.

Susie in MN

So netting would seem to solve it, but that all depends how big your plot is!

Caddi fuller-teabags

• Experienced Member
wormy radishes
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 21:41 »
Thank you.

<sighs>

Guess what I did with all the radishes that were infested?  Oh yes, I put them in the compost.

Caddi

gobs

wormy radishes
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 21:47 »
Netting won't solve it, depending, the fly is very little, you need fleece or rather fine mesh netting.

You really want to grow them as per DD, in compost in a cat litter tray by your back door under the fly net curtains. :wink:  :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
wormy radishes
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 11:43 »
Caddi, as a fellow site chappie thats just a stone throw from your plot the only way you will get radish of there is to grow either Mooli or icicle, both are long white radish and the fly tends not to go for them as they contain more mustad oil, its the only ones I have grown on their. The other way is to grow them on the window sill at home!
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Caddi fuller-teabags

• Experienced Member
wormy radishes
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 13:31 »
Thanks Aidy - I did wonder!

Little Dibber

wormy radishes
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 14:40 »
I lifted a few this morning and saw a little black looking wriggly thing near a hole.

I cut through the hole in 1 other radish just now, a minute latter a little white maggot was trying to escape, how gross, any thoughts of extra protein immediately evaporated.
"Know that this is your God, who could not consent to send anyone else to save you, but would come himself that he might gain for himself all your love."
St Alphonsus Ligouri

johnathome

wormy radishes
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 14:42 »
I hope the Enviromesh i ordered hurrys up and comes!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
wormy radishes
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 14:44 »
Like the old joke says..

What's worse than biting into a radish and finding a worm?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Biting into a radish and finding HALF a worm!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Wormy Sprouts

Started by BumbleJo on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 14, 2014, 23:08
by snowdrops
xx
Wormy chicken manure

Started by landgirl28 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 14:32
by landgirl28
xx
Radishes

Started by sianb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 20:40
by Brian_of_Bozeat
xx
Radishes

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 03, 2007, 20:58
by WG.

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 39 queries.