Under my fruit trees

• 4 Replies

Beetroot queen

Under my fruit trees
« on: April 28, 2013, 07:38 »
I put all my excess strawberry runners under the fruit trees. For several reasons, I had run out of pots, I couldn't waste them and I figured they may make a nice carpet for the fruit to bounce on as it falls and it may stop some weeds. But now I have doubts on whether it was a good idea. Will they actually grow under a small tree or not.

I could dig them out so it's not really a huge issue either way but they do look pretty  :blush:

LandShark

• Experienced Member
Re: Under my fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 21:14 »
I'd the same problem as you, too many runners so I planted them under a Silverbirch tree for the birds to feed on. I watered them for the first few weeks but once established they soon worked their way under the rest of shrubs in the border!!

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 06:37 »
I'd the same problem as you, too many runners so I planted them under a Silverbirch tree for the birds to feed on. I watered them for the first few weeks but once established they soon worked their way under the rest of shrubs in the border!!

We have bare boarders so maybe we can see how they go. I grow daft things under my trees like shallots lol hubby things two plots is enough but it's soon filled.

allotmentann

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 06:56 »
I am sure they will be fine as long as the canopy above them does not become too dense. Growing shallots beneath them is a good idea as the allium family are good companion plants for fruit trees, as are borage, and apparently beans and peas (although I would have thought these would struggle to grow well, I will have to try it and see!). Other recommended companions for fruit trees, which are also edible are Marigolds (Calendula NOT Tagetes), which can apparently be used as a 'poor man's saffron', nasturtiums and pansies. :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 07:26 »
I am sure they will be fine as long as the canopy above them does not become too dense. Growing shallots beneath them is a good idea as the allium family are good companion plants for fruit trees, as are borage, and apparently beans and peas (although I would have thought these would struggle to grow well, I will have to try it and see!). Other recommended companions for fruit trees, which are also edible are Marigolds (Calendula NOT Tagetes), which can apparently be used as a 'poor man's saffron', nasturtiums and pansies. :)

The shallots were a happy trial as I didn't even think about suitable companions  :blush: it happened because they needed somewhere and the plot space wasn't ready.

question
fruit trees

Started by Speachless on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 00:52
by Paul Plots
xx
Patio Fruit Trees

Started by Sleepingpopman on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 20, 2018, 14:23
by grinling
xx
Groupon and fruit trees

Started by casper on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 19:09
by casper
xx
moving fruit trees

Started by dmg on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post October 25, 2012, 23:20
by dmg

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 38 queries.