• Everyone's Aunty
Munty's one way to grow runner beans
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2008, 17:54 »
Beginning to flower nicely:

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2008, 10:18 »
My Munty frame has not worked that well, maybe i did not put enough tension on the string but they have blown all over the place and when the runners get to the top, instead of following the string they are snapping off  :cry:

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

muntjac

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2008, 11:49 »
thats wind cawdor .try leading them around the strings ,,, werks for me  :wink: wind leftover right tho follow the suns track :)
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2008, 18:49 »
My beans are beginning to crop well now but I have to keep watering them  :!:

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2008, 21:06 »
A picture taken today, the rain tonight will help the plants loads. As you can see they are starting to go over the top. Lots of flowers .

Hoping the frame wont collapse !  

Picked 12  courgettes today , some for lunch and the rest frozen.

Will post more when the beans are growing !
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2008, 23:39 »
It's looking good.  

You may find you need to teach the beans how to climb the sloping roof.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2008, 06:07 »
In general peas won't climb by themselves though, unlike beans. You'd have to tie them up individually if you used this method, making a lot of effort for yourself. You'd also have to make a scaled down version that you couldn't walk under!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2008, 13:01 »
Corndolly, what have you tied your strings onto at the bottom?

Cawdor

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2008, 14:32 »
Surely the idea is that you don't have to tie the strings to anything?

You bury the ends as you put the plants in and when they start climbing they'll pull the string tight.

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2008, 19:52 »
That's Right DD . I put the string under each plant as I popped it into the soil.The bean seeds were sown in pots and transplanted . The string is extra strong type used around these parts for growing hops. I figured that if its strong enough for hops, it'll be Ok for beans. But I'm crossing my fingers , all the same , as its the first time we've grown runner beans this way.

Next year we will build Mark 2 , there are always improvements /adaptions that can be done.

What I have noticed this year is a lack of bees , Honey bees are suffering with viruses and Bumble bees too are struggling. This could affect the amount of beans that set , at the moment there are lots of flowers , the wind last night blew a fair few onto the ground but hopefully the beans will develop where they were.

hecateh

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2008, 13:42 »
Just started 'growing my own' this year after being given a few surplus tom, cuke, pepper and butternut squash.

Looking for some forum support I found here and The Munty Frame' and decided to go for it, never having built anything from scratch before but being quite handy at the flatpack stuff.

Here's the result

Taken in June when just built

Starting to grow

Starting to harvest

My family and friends are well impressed
Helen x

muntjac

« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2008, 08:50 »
Quote from: "alwayshopeful"
Munty - I am new to the forum and have loved reading your posts.  You are as entertaining as you are informative - I look forward to your next snippet of advice!!

sorry for late reply

not just me but everybody has great input to the site thats why its the top allotment and gardening site in the country  :wink:

Gemma

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2008, 17:30 »
Hi,  Am new to the forums and have just come across this.  Having 3 children who LOVE runner beans I am going to have a go a building one of these in my garden.  Was wondering though given i dont have much space I will scale it down from some of the pictures we have seen here so that it fits in the area i have set aside for veggies,  But can i grow anything underneath it?  If not thats going to be a big bit of my patch gone to beans,  If i can use the space underneath then I should be ok.

Also can the back of the frame be against a fence?  or does the whole thing need to be open each side,  Again the only place i think i can put it is with its back to the fence

This is the space im working with,  and thinking of putting this on the right hand side in the lower square part

Thanks
Gemma

Bombers

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2008, 19:47 »
Gemma, I'll try and answer your questions, as I've experimented a bit this year with the world famous 'Munty frame' :)  I was told to try Lettuces and salad crops, but TBH I've had much better sucess with Parsnips!
       Re construction. I would personally use the back fence to fasten the string, and If you've got a spare sleeper, run it across the back  (it'll make it easier to pick the beans) It's just a lot easier if you can access from front and rear, or from both sides, without tripping over all your other lovely veg's :wink: But 'm sure other pp's will have some other similar/better suggestions. Good luck
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Paul Plots

« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2008, 02:48 »
hecateh wrote:
When the beans started to get a bit heavy, and we got that wet and windy weather I added a small block of wood at the joints as well to make the structure a bit more rigid and able to stand up to the elements.

I've been thinking about going over to a Minty-style frame (like many others) but need to consider wind and weight of crop - as did you.

I use a mixture of steel posts and old pipe for my existing frame. It'll be an interesting winter task to have a Minty-frame (of sorts) ready for the spring so everyone else's ideas are really valuable.
Thanks. :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
Ask Munty - Planting Tips

Started by Smudgeboy on Growing FAQs and other Information

16 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 18:26
by DD.
xx
making your own seed compost the munty way

Started by muntjac on Growing FAQs and other Information

11 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 16:10
by muntjac

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 54 queries.