Autumn menus

• 17 Replies

jaydig

Re: Autumn menus
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 15:12 »
All this talk of soup is making me hanker after a chicken soup with pearl barley.  I haven't had pearl barley for ages and actually can't remember seeing it on sale any time recently.  A forage down the health food section in Trasco may be on the cards  :)

Ohhhh!!!!!! PEARL BARLEY!  My abiding memory of this is from when I was small, and my nan insisted on making me drink barley water. I can't remember what it was supposed to cure, but I can remember having to try to force down this thick, pinkish gloop that she obtained by boiling pearl barley in water.  I don't think I could ever face pearl barley again.

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 08:12 »
All this talk of soup is making me hanker after a chicken soup with pearl barley.  I haven't had pearl barley for ages and actually can't remember seeing it on sale any time recently.  A forage down the health food section in Trasco may be on the cards  :)

Last time I saw some in Twongos, News, it was up on a high shelf with quinoa, cous cous etc!

I agree that it is a 'must' for chicken soup, although we sometimes use those very tiny pasta shells for a change!

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 10:54 »
I bought some the other day in Morrisons - 56p for 500 g. Like Tescos it is in the wholefood section with quinoa, bulgar wheat etc.
Val
Recipes Galore!

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 37 queries.