Large Brown Brittle areas on Bean Plant Leaves

• 2 Replies

new_plot

Large Brown Brittle areas on Bean Plant Leaves
« on: August 16, 2010, 21:26 »
Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone could help with an increasing problem i've recently incurred.

So i headed down to my lotty to check on my beans (french bean plants) i have around 30 of them and i've noticed a brown crust on the leaves. I have checked about on the internet and i suspect it could be bean rust, but what i can't figure out is that bean rust is associated with colder, damp temps, and you get a rusty coloured small clusters appear on the underside of the plant.

As for my leaves, they have huge brown patches which are brittle to the touch with slight yellow discolouration on the top of the leaves. Everything including the veins look fine.. Now more then half my plants are in one form or another in different stages of discolouration and brittleness.

Would treating the plants with any anti fungal help? Or does this sounds like something in the soil.

Help please, as these plants did yield plenty of bean which did not have any signs of infection either, but it seems like the production of beans on the infected plant has declined.

Thanks in advance

« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 21:40 by new_plot »
To Seed Or Not To Seed. That is an easy question.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Large Brown Brittle areas on Bean Plant Leaves
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 22:42 »
Does that plant catch the wind/draught?  a similar thing is happening to one corner of my bean frame where the wind gusts around next door's shed, and the plants in that corner have got wind burnt over the last few days :(

new_plot

Re: Large Brown Brittle areas on Bean Plant Leaves
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 12:52 »
That's an interesting idea that hadn't passed my mind, but i think this has been an on going problem for a little while now, i've clipped off all the leaves that seem to be showing signs of the yellowing first, which i'm hoping will slow down the movement of whatever it is. I've also planted tomato plants down the centre of the row to act as a wind breaker.. i guess i've have to take samples of the leaves to the garden centre and see what they say...but thank you for your reply, maybe you could plant in something of significant size near your beans to break the wind too? best of luck thought  :)

xx
Tomato and potato disease - Large brown areas and leaf wilting

Started by Cliffsta on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 16, 2012, 21:25
by Growster...
xx
brown spots on runner bean leaves

Started by Digger Parsnip on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post October 05, 2008, 12:10
by John
xx
Winter Brassicas - brittle leaves & wavy stems

Started by JoyPegs on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2023, 08:03
by JoyPegs
xx
brown leaves

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2014, 09:46
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 40 queries.