Vintage Tools

• 25 Replies

rowlandwells

Re: Vintage Tools
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 10:42 »
Hi all i agree with Gwiz yesteryears tools have been  made very well to last i have a shed full of garden tools mostly vintage handed down by those who are  no longer with us some purchased  from the council re-cycle tip brought back to life with a good clean some i have put new handles in i have amongst my collection 3 scythes in good condition and still used also a SS hoe v-good :D

goodegg

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 16:49 »
learner that one you put on is called an ibis i was going to buy one last year but wasnt sure how good it would be so didnt bother

Slowgrind

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 09:43 »
Does anyone know where I could get a shaft/handle for a Dutch hoe? I was given a lovely big heavy steel hoe head a while ago. The handle though was  home made from an old brush handle! I've seen various tools with hardwood shafts but can't find a replacement.

Gwiz

« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 12:25 by Gwiz »

Slowgrind

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 12:55 »
Spot on Gwiz! Another two sites to bookmark!  :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 13:36 »
learner that one you put on is called an ibis i was going to buy one last year but wasnt sure how good it would be so didnt bother

Thanks for that information.... Do you know any more about the origin of this type of tool?

I find it brilliant for very close delicate weeding between onions. It has two "cutting" edges and can be swept through the soil speedily or the sharp pointed tip is great for removing weed roots from close to plants without causing damage. Helps reduce back-ache too!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Steven Rowe

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 20:49 »
I love vintage tools !!!!! i have so many ive lost count , i use old trowels for wall building , got an old scottish dykeing hammer for dykeing (very hard to find now adays) , got lots of old masons tools for stone dressing, Go for the old skool mate

Paul Plots

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 19:14 »
I love vintage tools !!!!! i have so many ive lost count , i use old trowels for wall building , got an old scottish dykeing hammer for dykeing (very hard to find now adays) , got lots of old masons tools for stone dressing, Go for the old skool mate

My dad has a fantastic furniture-makers tool box which he bought 2nd hand years ago. Each of the planes fits into the bottom one right next to the other. They are shapes for different finishes - all are wooden with very sharp blades. Modern equivalent of a router I guess.

The smell from inside the box is wonderful... all the woods that have been worked over the years seem to have left their fragrances behind. As well as planes there are countless other ancient looking tools. It is a snap shot of skills from the past.  :)

Steven Rowe

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 19:20 »

My dad has a fantastic furniture-makers tool box which he bought 2nd hand years ago. Each of the planes fits into the bottom one right next to the other. They are shapes for different finishes - all are wooden with very sharp blades. Modern equivalent of a router I guess.

The smell from inside the box is wonderful... all the woods that have been worked over the years seem to have left their fragrances behind. As well as planes there are countless other ancient looking tools. It is a snap shot of skills from the past.  :)

See you dont get things like that these days , its all cheap screwfix rubbish , get some pics up if you can :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 19:22 »
I'd love to Steven - It's something I had not thought of before.... when I have a few hours to spare I will do just that... presently I'm just a bit too busy but... come April  :)  :)

Steven Rowe

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 16:53 »
Just when ever mate , it'll be good to see another retro tool box

xx
vintage tools

Started by Offwego on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post January 12, 2018, 21:32
by Offwego
xx
Does anyone know what these vintage gardening tools are?

Started by Countryboy on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2013, 00:01
by bravemurphy
clip
wicks for vintage heater belonging to my vintage friend

Started by Tommy Turnip on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post February 14, 2019, 08:29
by mumofstig
xx
wanted vintage dutch hoe

Started by Offwego on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post May 28, 2015, 12:45
by Uzzy

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 39 queries.