Did It - Bay of Biscay

• 9 Replies

mrs bouquet

Did It - Bay of Biscay
« on: October 20, 2018, 21:27 »

One point under FORCE 10 (Storm)  Wind speed, 47 to 48 knots.

Over 1500 passengers were sea sick, fell over and broke bones, or had stitches in their wounds.

We missed our first port to visit, because we had crossed so slowly, across the English Channel and the Bay, we were too late to call in there.    To put it in perspective,  the Pools were all drained, coat hangers and clothes had to be lain down,  the window blinds hanging across the cabins, water sloshing out of the loo.

All doors to the exterior were shut down, many areas out of bounds, and the waves were breaking over floors 15 up. !!

Me, I took all the medication as and when the Consultant told me, and I was well, and thought it one of the most exciting things I have ever done, but I did feel sorry for those poorly folk.  It was totally awesome,  It is hard to realise the strength of the Oceans, until you have been there.      The lowest Force was 5, which is 17-21 Wind speed knots.   I have still got my sealegs on, and keep lurching around, but I do that alot anyway.  The kitchen (where I am now sitting, is swaying very nicely  :D)

My worst experience (which again is fairly normal) was not being able to hear anybody, and the noise in the Gales was horrendous, but so was the continual music everywhere.

The trips we did manage were great, although it was grey and drizzly, but warm.  Did a 3 hour tuk-tuk ride and another 3.5 hours walking trip, and a sedate horse and carriage ride, followed by another walk.
I went to alot of the entertainment, some good, some not.  Saunered, steamed, jacuzzied, etc etc,  and ate enough food to feed a starving nation.   Weight gain, three quarters of a pound !!!!

Nice to be home though, and chatter to you all, and tell you my adventure.  I must admit I do feel proud of myself.

Two things that really made me laugh,  Me in Lift, A daddy gets in with kid pickng nose, oi, says Dad, Stop that and press the lift button  (thats why I never press ANY buttons when I am out.)    Second one, French people gathering for a march, with banners etc,  I looked across and gave them thumbs-up,  they all did the same, and gave me big cheers.  The man sitting opposite, in the carriage, said, Oh, what are they going to march about.   I replied, I haven't got a clue  :lol:
Thanks if you have taken time to read this.   Regards, Mrs Bouquet

Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

snowdrops

Re: Did It - Bay of Biscay
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 21:44 »
Great that your back home safe & sound & with lovely memories & stories to tell😊
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 22:00 »
What an adventure Mrs B.

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 09:57 »
Congratulations, Mrs B!  You should rightly be proud of yourself because you weren't totally certain that you could do this, and I'm sure that if you had known in advance about the weather conditions you may have decided not to go, but look what an adventure you've had, and you not only survived it but you seem to have relished it. It just goes to show that if we can face up to our fears and push ourselves to take on things we normally wouldn't dream of doing, how much we can enrich our lives, and create wonderful memories to look back on.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 10:01 »
Well done you!  :)
I'm not sure I would have coped as well as you did, by they sound of things, but what a tale you have to tell, now  ::)

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 12:57 »
Mrs B, when I saw the weather forecast for that area I was thinking about you and am so very glad you're ok. You really grabbed the moments there, had a jolly good time no matter what and I'm so proud of you! GGx 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 21:45 »
We did the Plymouth to Santander ferry crossing a few years ago .  Mrs Tenhens was not well within minutes of leaving port. We just fancied doing something different. We've not been on a ferry since!!
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 21:27 »
  Sounds like a good trip Mrs B did you have a hammock in your cabin  to get the
 full benefit of a good sleep,,, ::)  :nowink:  :wacko:
Colin

mrs bouquet

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 22:43 »
It could just as well have been a hammock,   but no, I wedged the pillows round me, and slept soundly  :D Mrs Bouquet

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 15:10 »
Well done Mrs B  :D

I've been on a few lurching ships when the china was flying off of tables.  It's all part of being at sea  :wacko:

xx
The Bay of Biscay

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post October 07, 2018, 14:33
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 49 queries.