plant growth regulators

• 7 Replies

rowlandwells

plant growth regulators
« on: August 04, 2017, 20:33 »
does anyone out there know  about plant growth regulators I know its not available to home gardeners god knows why not but its something that I have been  interest in for many years now  I sometimes read in my seed catalogue growth regulators may be used

obviously it reduces the growth for maybe a more compact plant? I know farmers use growth regulators on cereal crops to reduce straw growth if anyone knows about growth regulators as matter of interest I would be pleased to hear what growth regulators actually achieve

Auntiemogs

Re: plant growth regulators
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 21:36 »
I didn't know anything until I read your post, so I did some reading, and it's quite an interesting subject!

I haven't really had a good look, but hormone rooting powder (to stimulate root growth) comes to mind as something that is used by gardeners when taking cuttings.

This article may be useful if you haven't already seen it....http://www.canna-uk.com/plant_growth_regulators.

AM  :)

I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Pescador

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 07:19 »
Back in the 70's/80's there was a product called Cultar which was used to control inter-nodal length and enhance flowering in certain pot plants. Possibly also to control height of cereal crops, not certain of that!
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 20:06 »
i have to admit I haven't heard of cultar before till you mentioned it although I have heard of a product called cycocell  I have used when I was crop spraying many years ago i believe it  mite be on the banned chemical list now farmers still use a growth regulator but what is called these days I don't know
I know growrh regulators are  used by some commercial growers but when to use it or what strength the apply as a spray

still a very grey area to me and your link  Auntie is a bit technical to me  :D

Dr_Pepper

• Good Life Horticulture
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 10:34 »
As you say none are approved for amateur use (other than rooting compounds) I think
These links might be of interest:

Ornamentals production:

http://www.dovebugs.co.uk/Growth%20Regulators.pdf

Search with 'plant growth regulator' in the field of use/action box:

https://secure.pesticides.gov.uk/pestreg/ProdSearch.asp

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 11:33 »
We used Cutlass inhibitor on the privet hedges many years ago !
That many years ago i cannot recall if it worked or not ! :nowink:

victoria park

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 12:25 »
Cereal/wheat crops are perfect for "enhanced treatments" to help growth and harvest efficiency. I suppose the worst "growth regulator" I can think of is the hugely widespread practice of using glyphosate as a desiccant, rather than as a weed killer. Wheat crops are soaked with it a week before harvest.  The idea being that the wheat obviously starts to die, and  that helps the mechanical process of harvesting, but also the wheat knows it's dying, so it sets more seed very quickly. Apparently the soaking raises harvest profitaility by up to 5%.
One of the main reasons I have for years baked my own organic breads in my trusty bread machine.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 12:27 by victoria park »

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 21:48 »
as I understand  Vic farmers use roundup before harvest on cereal crops  [wheat] to kill of the black grass that is prevalent in most wheat crops this makes harvesting the crop more easy for modern combine harvesters

I've never heard that it makes it weigh more because its damp because corn merchants always test corn for moisture content before its unloaded hence why farmers dry there crop before taking it to the merchant I know this to happen

and its also a fact that the farmer must to notify the relevant agricultural bodies that the crop has been sprayed there is also no evidence that wheat sprayed prior to harvest has  contamination to wheat flour when used for bread making

xx
Strawberry plant growth

Started by BumbleJo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 27, 2016, 08:33
by BumbleJo
xx
Difference in plant leaf growth and watering

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 25, 2014, 12:19
by Goosegirl
xx
Green Manures & plant with fastest biomass growth.

Started by RichardY on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 06, 2016, 21:55
by gremlin
xx
New growth

Started by sloegin on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 21:16
by sloegin

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 39 queries.