bullied chicken

• 2 Replies

hillary1

bullied chicken
« on: August 02, 2010, 19:48 »
we have had 3 chickens for 2 years and have recently got 3 more from a friend which are about the same age. we have had them about a week and they seemed to be settling in ok but now one of the original chickens has started to attack one of the new ones quite badlly! Any advise please?   :(

Brambles

Re: bullied chicken
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 20:10 »
I had a girl that was a total bully, she picked on one of her "flat-mates" and pulled all her feathers out around her rear end and breast.... I tried EVERYTHING that I knew, but she still pulled the feathers out and ate them.   Finally I separated her from the others, she has been totally happy living next door and she LOVES having all her food and treats all to herself... I think that was her problem, she was a rescue hen from a barn where she had to fight for survival, now she is on her own, she is very happy and contented.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: bullied chicken
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 20:16 »
You could try spraying her with purple spray to hide the redness, or an anti peck spray or if this doesn't work then try ukadex - brown fowl smelling stuff. If all this fails then fit a beak clip to the bossy one - she will still be able to eat and drink but cannot grasp feathers.
Sometimes chickens eat feathers for some extra protein - so it could depend on the feed you are giving them although in this instance I suspect it is merely a pecking order dispute and sadly one has to be at the bottom.
If after another week of trying the above and you still have problems then remove the bully for a while - by doing this she may lose her place in the hierarchy and it gives the bullied one chance to get established in the gang  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Bullied chicken

Started by mark porcher on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 21:13
by ehs284
sad
Help please - bullied chicken

Started by girliesx4 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 19:25
by ash
xx
BULLIED CHICKEN!

Started by Cal_Leghorn on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 15:17
by Chicken Pete
xx
Chicken being bullied

Started by RebeccaM on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 29, 2010, 01:55
by joshbuchan

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 39 queries.