Allotment cost

• 4 Replies

Brightie

Allotment cost
« on: July 02, 2012, 20:07 »
Hi,

Been browsing these forums for a while so decided to sign up  :D

I have just taken over an allotment from a friend who looked after it for the owner for many years. However, it hasn't been looked after for several years and is covered in 5ft brambles and nettles. After a busy weekend most of it is now in a pile ready for burning, but my question is this.....

I am currently writing to the owner to inform him that I have taken over and to arrange payment, but I wanted to express my interest to purchase the site outright, to allow me the freedom to remove the few brick foundations that are clogging up the site (remains of greenhouses long since removed). But....how much would it cost? It's about 10m x 50m (maybe slightly bigger) and situated on the boulevards in Nottingham (in case anyone knows the area).

Cheers  :blink:

thestens

• Experienced Member
Re: Allotment cost
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 20:18 »
Who owns the plot, not council or garden holders assoc? Why not just ask about clearing the foundations? You don't have to take then away ( assuming they are brick) , you could use them for paths, raised beds,cold frames.
Which Boulevard are they on, I am originally from Stapleford but live in North East now.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 20:19 by thestens »
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

Brightie

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 20:27 »
It's privately owned, and I doubled checked it on the land registry website.

The 1ft wall left behind is easily removed but the foundations go down a good foot or two and seems to have used concrete in places as a floor, but bricks in others. Seems bizarre tbh but obviously a DIY job. There is also a small brick building on site which is close to collapse but has a large concrete floor which would be useful if I pulled the existing structure down (great for a shed).

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 22:54 »
You could check the UK Land Registry for similar purchases in your area?

Ivor Backache

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 10:50 »
Could try approaching an estate agent who deals in agricultural land. They may be able to suggest a price. Make sure you buy the access as well.
Google agricultural land prices. They appear to be £6500-£8000 per acre and rising. You seem to have about 0.1 acre.

xx
Allotment cost - may I ask how much you pay per year?

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post August 14, 2018, 11:51
by missmoneypenny
xx
Cost?

Started by Zammoimp on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 07, 2009, 00:20
by woodburner
xx
How much do you think it will cost you

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 23:37
by Paul Plots
xx
Seed cost?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

62 Replies
Last post January 20, 2012, 12:10
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 38 queries.