Allotment cost - may I ask how much you pay per year?

• 23 Replies

meriad

The 1/2 plot I took on was only £12 for the year last year, but this year the rent went up and is now £24 per year.  Now I think that is still very cheap as I'm sure a friend was paying a lot more for hers; but some of the allotment holders think it's an excessive increase and are complaining rather loudly.   OK yes; it is double but still....   £48 for a full or £24 for a half plot I think is very good.  Admittedly we're not allowed sheds, there are no loo's etc but there is water in various troughs throughout the plot (no hosepipes allowed). 

So just being curious what the average costs are to rent an allotment and what you get for your money

geordiekev

Re: Allotment cost - may I ask how much you pay per year?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 14:49 »
In our area we pay £15 for the rent and £14 for the water. Half plots are half that amount. The local council should be grateful that we pay, since they do very little in the way of maintenance or improvements.

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 14:54 »
I’m in Yorkshire full plot with water £80

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 15:35 »
Here in Ashford plots cost £6 per perch/rod with 50% off the first 5 perch if you are a pensioner or in receipt of certain benefits. Most plots are now 5 perch or smaller, there are a few water taps on most allotment sites, but using hosepipes to water crops directly isn't allowed, although you are allowed to refill water-butts with them.

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 19:00 »
Richmond, Surrey.
In 2011 the cost was £8 per rod ( most 1/2 plots are 5 rods)  so £40  or 1/2 price for pensioners so £20
Last Autumn cost per rod had risen to £17 per rod so £85 or half price for pensioners £42.50

We have water laid on and can use hosepipes but not sprinklers.  We also have a shop (put up and run by the Allotment holders) and loos.  Given that most newcomers are families I think £85 is a lot & I'm just glad that as a pensioner I get a good discount!

Christine

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 19:12 »
10 rod plot here is £47.50 (half price for pensioners) with a £3 membership fee on top. Half plots are half price. We have taps and can use hosepipes but not sprinklers. No loos on any of the sites in the town nor electric.

Toosje

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 21:26 »
We pay 170 euro's for 300m2. There are loo's, a shop with all necessities with very good deals, supply of manure/compost and leaves in autumn, streams for water, pumps for those who don't have one, a cantina, coffee moments 3 times a day and we have 2 sheds (officially we rent 2 plots. 200 m2 is the max so we split it up and this makes it a little more expensive.)

honeymelon

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 21:32 »
our allotment is very small, 15M x 7.5M, we pay £15 per year

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 07:12 »
I pay £68 a year for a 6 rod plot in the South East. This includes mains water, use of the onsite shop (more like a mini garden centre),  toilets, entry to site events and the plots are all accessible by car with ample parking. I got an old shed in the deal too which helps! New plot holders get a free strim and discount rotavate if required.

My only problem with the price is that they charge a full year even if you take on a plot late in the season, but otherwise happy.

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 07:39 »
£125 a year for a 10 pole on a grade B site. We have water but not a lot else. No rubbish collection and we are lucky if the grass is cut more than twice a year.

Debz

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 10:38 »
Glasgow £40 half plot with water.

meriad

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 13:38 »
This has made interesting reading and thank you for replying

EnfieldGlen, we have no rubbish collection either and we have to maintain the grass ourselves; everyone is responsible for the edges around their plot.

Honeymelon, the size of yours I'm sure is a bit bigger than mine; I need to remeasure but I think mine is 15 x 5m (or it may be 20x5  :unsure: )

But it seems that the cost is fairly standard throughout the country with some allotments offering more than others.  Not sure anyone on my allotment get's a discount though

AnneB

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 18:09 »
Here in Bradford an allotment plot costs £40.16 per year, whatever its size - quarter, half, full (large or small, there is no standard).  People over 60 or the disabled, unemployed or students pay half.  If your site has a summer water supply, then each plot pays £22 water charge.

Each site has a site representative who gets a free plot.  I am such a person, but I definitely spend more than I save in other costs, including printing costs - I have to print out all the contracts for new tenants, petrol and parking for allotment meetings plus hours of time showing people round, call outs for vandalism etc, telephone calls and so on.  Still, it keeps me busy.

Our site has its own Association.  Annual subs are £10 per plot, but you don't have to join.  You get access to a shared large polytunnel, hire of power tools, the paths mowed by the Committee, public liability insurance and a share of produce from our beehives and orchard.  No loos or power supply.  Occasional deliveries of manure.  A dood deal I think.

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 10:13 »
We pay £40 per year for a full plot (half being £20) £1.00 association fee wich gives us use of the shop at 40%ish discount. A £30.00 deposit for a key and we have toilets and free water.
We also have a club house / tea room and we are allowed sheds. No rubbish collection but we do have regular skips.
Also at the site managers discreation. If the plot is in poor order when taken over. The first year is normally rent free.
May the fork be with you

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 10:17 »
My Dorset allotment is about £80 a year. Calculated by square meter. Water troughs are provided and the Council mows the main paths. No discounts.

xx
So, how much has this year cost you in money and time ?

Started by beesrus on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post September 03, 2014, 18:44
by Kristen
xx
Allotment cost

Started by Brightie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 10:50
by Ivor Backache
xx
Allotment performance going down year on year

Started by Julian Rees on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 06, 2023, 19:48
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
Getting an allotment this time of year

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 14, 2009, 22:11
by Robin Redbreast

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 40 queries.