squash

• 7 Replies

hoporus

squash
« on: April 21, 2010, 08:12 »
please dont laugh :( i have never grown squash before I dont know what to plant them in or whether they climb or anything about them  I am confused :unsure:can you help me please  Thanks

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: squash
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 08:26 »
They sprawl - about 4 - 5 feet. They would climb, I expect, but supporting the weight of the fruit would be a problem.

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 09:11 »
hoporus:

What sort of squash are you thinking of planting?

...and no laughter here. Everyone has been a "first time" gardener at one time or another. I'm trying a few new things myself this year. :)

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 10:38 »
Generally the best thing to do is find a spot where you'll have enough space - I have a bed set aside for pumpkins and squash which is about 15'x10' or so and I squeeze in about 6-8 plants - set out in a diamond pattern to maximise space.  At the moment I'm growing 'galeaux d'eysines' and 'spellbound' but I'm thinking of trying some other types instead of spellbound.  The main thing is to make sure that the soil has enough nutrients so I dig a hole for each plant and fill it with well rotted manure if I can get it or a mix of compost, manure and fertiliser. This year I've emptied about 3 barrow loads of home made compost onto the bed.  I start the seeds off at home in the progagator at the beginning of May so they'll be ready to plant out towards the end of the month and then I make sure I give them plenty of feeding through the growing season. I sometimes struggle with fruit set so it's a good idea to have a lot of flowering plants nearby to encourage insects.  If you want bigger fruit then you'll have to give the plants more space but I don't mind having smaller fruit as there's only two of us.  As the plants grow I'll reposition the trailing stems to stop them sprawling all over the plot and put a tile under the fruit once they've set.  Then just wait for them to mature.  Sometimes I'll have to cut them when they're still green if autumn frosts are forecast but they ripen at home.  I hope that helps.

Debz

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 10:43 »
That's a great help Greg as I have just planted some butternut squash seeds for the first time and wasn't realy sure how to proceed.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 11:25 »
Debz the main problem I find is getting the plants started early enough to maximise the length of growing season whilst missing the last of the frosts.  But once you've got the timing right, give them plenty of food and enough space they pretty much take care of themselves.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 19:36 »
My beds are 4ft x 12ft and I plant 4 plants in that space ........greg is very generous with his space if he only plants 8 plants in a 15' x 12'.........that much space is  nearly my whole
plot :D

hoporus

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 20:22 »
omg they need loads of space  however ill give it a go i have a patch that might just take two plants I can only try I hear my dad on my shoulder saying go for it girl He could grow anything in anywhere Thanks everyone for your advice

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
Squash

Started by CaroM on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 18, 2009, 14:14
by jolly jen
xx
squash

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 10:11
by Pompey Spud
xx
squash

Started by mollymuggles on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 21:56
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.514 seconds with 40 queries.