Rotovator

• 5 Replies

alexroyall85

Rotovator
« on: December 28, 2017, 18:45 »
Evening all

I am looking to buy a rotovator for my 1/4 acre allotment but one that you can swap attachments for a plough body etc.
Any good ones out there
Many thanks

Alex

rowlandwells

Re: Rotovator
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 19:45 »
I got fed up with my old rotovator a merry tiller that I had for around twenty five years  breaking down so I bought a second hand merry tiller that to kept breaking down  :mad: so we decided to buy a new tiller after shopping around I settled on a Viking tiller

I know Viking do several attachments because we bought a pair of steel wheels and a potato ridger the rotovater + attachments cost £750

Looked at a Honda tiller quite a good tiller but no sure about the attachments to fit it tiller  slightly dearer I never investigated the plough attachments because I plough my ground with a tractor but its worth shopping around good luck

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 20:34 »
We replaced the engine on my late father in laws 40 yr plus,Merry Tiller with a Honda engine. It’s been on 14 years now & works a treat, even I can start it easily.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 20:32 »
There seems to be a misconception that you can't buy new Merry Tillers, you can, though the Titan model which had all the big accessories like a proper plough (rather than a ridger/furrower,) is long gone. However, I have never been good at estimating areas but I make 1/4 acre about 30m x 30m, which is pushing it for a Merry Tiller, never mind the flimsier, modern "mid tyne tillers". I suspect the bigger, rear tyne type may be more suitable. The Jury is still out about the Chinese stuff that has come in recently, Howards are all getting old, and Camon have a mixed reputation, so the big Hondas are probably the best bet. Lots of accessories are available for these, but they are expensive.
R Tallentire

Digger the Dog

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 10:49 »
We have recently gone through the stress of buying a new "rotovator" and ended up with a Viking HB585.
The choice of machines is endless -
There seem to be "Cultivator/rotovator" types that the rotating tines provide the forward motion. These are the least expensive.
There are wheeled types with rear rotating tines: The wheels provide the forward motion and the tines work independently. Again, these can be had for reasonable money if one goes for the Chinese machines that are sold under a number of different names: Some users of this Forum have bought them and seem pleased with them.
Then there is the 2 wheeled tractor type and these do seem to have the greatest range of attachments that can be hung off the back of them. These are also the most expensive...
A lurk around Youtube will show all sorts of goodies to hang off the back of the 2 Wheel tractor type; the most exciting we found was a real potato Harvester/Lifter which, needless to say, is not available in the UK. For example; for the Viking 585, we've seen harrows, spring tines, a tow along wheebarrow, ridging discs and other items.
Something that was pointed out to us when we were searching for our machine is that the wheeled type with rear driven tines do not "dig" as deeply as the Cultivator where the tines are providing the forward motion as well.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 19:23 »
You are right about the depth, Digger. According to the manual of my new two-wheel rear-tine rotavator, the active tilling depth is 16cm (about six inches in old money). At least it won't try to dig itself to Australia like you said yours did!

I have not had a chance to use it yet because of all the recent rain but that should be a good enough depth for me and will help the surface dry out and become more level with repeated use.

xx
rotovator help.

Started by arthur cooke on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post February 13, 2008, 11:56
by arthur cooke
angry
what rotovator

Started by dave123 on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 23:38
by dave123
xx
who's rotovator is this?

Started by jack russell on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 07:48
by jack russell
xx
rotovator

Started by bluedog on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post September 04, 2012, 22:38
by bluedog

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 38 queries.