chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

• 4 Replies

tracybro

Sounds like a silly question and I almost expect the answer is yes.  However  its not that straight forward.  our dogs sometimes poo in our back garden and we would like to keep chickens.  I think that it will be a no-no to have them in the same garden.  Whilst we always remove poo as it arrives I am concerned if there are any lingering issues that I should be aware of in poultry management.  Obvioulsy the dogs are wormed and in great health.  Should I be going out  of my way to make sure the chickens could never come in contact with a patch of grass that the dog has fouled on or is this a step too far?   Help,  I am a novice and we need to know before we get our chickens if this is a go-er.

rachelr

Sorry i hve no idea and would like to know this myself. However another question i need answering is should i let my dogs eat the chicken pooh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I worked on the fact that when i was little my uncle had cows and chickens in the same meadow and that was ok

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
my dogs share our space with the chickens, so long as both are wormed properly and you pooh pick (dogs) then you are fine. Most dogs will try chicken pooh - they can have some revolting habits.
Staffies are softer than you think.

jinty1911

My dog ate the chicken poo for the first few days but the novelty has worn off.  I poo pick dog and chickens every day and they are fine.

Kym503

• Experienced Member
when my hens are out on the lawn my dog follows them waiting to hoover up whatever they leave behind..... revolting habit !

xx
Letting my chickens roam?

Started by Feathers on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 27, 2009, 11:50
by Beano
xx
letting chickens roam the garden

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

33 Replies
Last post August 29, 2009, 16:06
by grumpydad
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 39 queries.