Help and advice for beginner please !!

• 25 Replies

Kerry

• Experienced Member
« on: January 03, 2007, 12:13 »
Hello there, my name is Kerry. Santa (my husband) brought be a chicken coop and 2 lovely brown hybrids for Christmas (they arrived the week before so I've had them just over 2 weeks now). They've been named Thelma and Louise. We have an old metal framed greenhouse which my hubby has taken the glass out of and put wire in. Thelma and Louise have a lovely coop inside of this, but they won't go in it at night. They insist on sitting on top of it !!  I've tried putting a torch inside to draw them in, but still no luck. It's not a problem putting them in physically each night, as they are getting used to being handled (and I like to have a chat to them anyway)!!, but should I be doing something else? I think they are using the roosting bar once I've put them in, and they've deffo been in the nest box coz the shredded paper gets flattened.  Any tips or advice ? Any help would be very much appreciated. I keep kidding myself that they must feel safe on top, but would much rather them go in at night. By the way they are 22 weeks old now. Sorry if I'm waffling on!!!!!
Mondays are just weeds in the lawn of life !

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 12:36 »
never fear the birds are still young  check the hieght of the roost bar they must be able to stand up without knocking thier heads .just keep putting them in for a while they will get used to it and then no worries .make sure you have a drinker in the coop so they dont get stressed about being locked in /other than that just relax . read the articels on keeping chickens on here . search words chickens - chicken and you will soon be an oldie in the chicken world like wot i am  :wink:
still alive /............

Kerry

• Experienced Member
Thanks !
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 12:44 »
Hope I'm doing this bit right. Many thanks for reply. Will try to relax a little more and keep at it.  Just read my original message again, not sure if it sounded stuffy, never been on a forum before. Hubby does it all the time with the footy. Will keep reading the posts, and will report back when I have any news. ( The whole World will know about it when I get the first egg). Thanks again.

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 12:45 »
dont worry about how you sound .words on a screen make no sound .. i sometimes look when i read my own posts like a blooming egg head . im not i hope lol :wink:

Kerry

• Experienced Member
Forgot to ask !
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 12:59 »
Just realised, forgot to ask, should I still keep putting the torch in for them, or will that confuse things !  Ta.

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 13:03 »
take it out they dont ned it . if you had reason to make them lay for commercial reasons you would put lights in ona  timer  so the light came on to make the days longer as chickens need a longday light period to tempt them to lay . so no need for the torch  they wil probably see it as a longer day only and stay outside . go and lock them up half hour after dusk an i think you will soon find they get into the habit of going inside  :)

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 13:06 »
another thing . remove the nespaper and use straw for the bedding paper holds moisture and will become sodden and stink bad /if you want eggs they will lay on straw when they are ready . remember the grit and crushed oyster shell they need for processing the food and making egg shell. .

Kerry

• Experienced Member
Thanks again
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 13:10 »
Thanks again, appreciate all the help I can get.

At work at mo so couldn't put a picture on profile , but I'm going to put a photo of "the ladies" on when I get home !

Hope I'm not the only nutter on the site !!!!!!!!

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 13:12 »
your safe there .. we have hundreds of nutters .  :lol:

Kerry

• Experienced Member
A small step in the right direction for Thelma and Louise !
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 17:42 »
Just thought I'd let you know, have got home from work and both Thelma and Louise on top of coop, so instead of picking them up and putting them through the hole I thought I'd try a different tack.

Louise is a little braver than Thelma so I started with her. After a good 15 mins in the run talking to them and stroking them I put Louise on the floor in front of the ramp, and up she went!!  

It wasn't that easy with Thelma (she's chicken) ha, ha. I put her on the floor three times and each time she went back on top of the coop, so the fourth time I put her feet actually on the ramp and with a little shepherding and hands either side to guide her, but not touching her, she eventually went in.

A small step for chicken kind, but a huge step in my confidence with them.

Will keep doing this every night now, and will let you know more.

Thanks again.

P.S. tried to put piccie on but file too big. Haven't worked out how to do it yet but will keep at it !

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 18:55 »
You'll have a great time with your chikens Kerry.  They make wonderful pets and the joy of collecting a nice warm egg never goes away  :D

muntjac

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 20:32 »
seeing a new chick hatch is the best thing i get a high every time it happens  :lol:

Kerry

• Experienced Member
Yippeee!!
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 22:47 »
Today gets better and better. Hubby just taught me how to put piccie on. Didn't think he knew how !! Think he's been taken over by Aliens.

Anyway, now have my photo of Thelma and Louise under my details. Dig the love hearts in the top of the coop, (probably can't see them as photo so small). Special request when ordering. Bloke who made it thought I was bonkers!! Hubby confirmed that I was/am.

Thanks for all help and positive comments. Look forward to logging on again.

Kerry, Thelma and Louise. :D  :D  :D

muntjac

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 22:50 »
ur welcome and that a perty coop im sure ur ladies will love it

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 22:55 »
Can I just second the comment about seeing a chick hatch.  Totally amazing.  I held an egg in my hand a few days ago whilst chick was pecking away to get out - brilliant!  Did put it back in incubator immediately by the way - was checking at time for egg changes and it took me by surprise.  Quite amazing how they chirp after you each time they see you too.

xx
Some Advice for an Absolute Beginner?

Started by Skywise on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 13, 2011, 10:49
by JaK
xx
Beginner Questions

Started by BigStan on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 10, 2007, 14:26
by eggs on legs
xx
Chicken beginner

Started by Kevc on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 20:11
by joyfull
xx
Absolute beginner

Started by inab on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 03, 2008, 17:12
by inab

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 38 queries.