Free food!

• 17 Replies

beki

• Experienced Member
    • http://wholesomeliving.smfforfree4.com/index.php
Free food!
« on: February 13, 2009, 23:03 »
OH works 2pm - 10pm, and has to pass asda on his way home every night. Last week he popped in for some bits and came home with 6 swedes and 2 bags of diced swede... for free! They were giving them away at the front door  :D

Anyway... tonight he popped in there again on the way home, and phoned me to ask if i wanted any 'charlotte' new potatoes, as they were reduced from 87p to 5p per bag! I said to pick up as many as he could carry, as i can blanche and freeze them.

Anyway.. he just came back with 23 - yes TWENTY THREE - bags of potatoes  :blush: LOL... And better than that, when he went to put them in the trolley, the lady near the counter said to take as many as he wanted... for FREE, as they'd ust be chucking them out if he didn't  :blink:

How wasteful is that though? There's actually NOTHING wrong with them at all... just the printed date on the front of the packet... grrrr  :mad:

Anyway.. we're glad of the bargain!  :D
Trying to live the good life.. getting there slooooowly...

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Free food!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 23:36 »
That's good Beki, Our nearest Asda is 8 miles away, long way to go at 10pm though to see if there's any freebies!!!!  You'll have a freezer full of veg soon!!!

digalotty

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 00:05 »
eu laws, haha were wasting so mutch food for no reason, and that cant be good for corbon footprint can it
get it wile you can  :) :nowink:
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

FCG

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 23:07 »
I always pop in my local mini sainsburys when going home. Always bags of lettuce/salads at 10p a pop with the occasional whole lettuce no more than 20p. Perfect for the chooks for breakfast, lunch and dinner hourderves to go with the main course of pellets.

I agree with you saying it's ridiculous but here is something that's even more ridiculous in this throwaway culture -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

(Sensibly banned in this country, but i bet there is plenty of products with this under the radar)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 23:10 by FCG »

Larkshall

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 08:24 »
I agree with you saying it's ridiculous but here is something that's even more ridiculous in this throwaway culture -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

(Sensibly banned in this country, but i bet there is plenty of products with this under the radar)

No, it's not banned, Microsoft do it. That's why I changed to Ubuntu OS and all it's free software. It does not require the latest high spec. computers to run it.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 18:38 »
One casualty of the 24 hr supermmarket is that there is not so much available for almost nohting at the time I am on the way home from work - fed 50 or so guinea pigs for years like this!!

You have to search the shelves or the reduced areas at regular intervals. Best most recent bargain (aprt from 20 tuplis for 75p in total!) has been the brussels at 20p a bag - readt trimmed - which are now in my freezer) from tesco
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 19:05 »
Our local supermarket closes at around 830 in the week, so I often pop in to see whats on offer. I mainly look at the bread for using on my packed lunches, but also have a look in the fridge to see whats on offer - there have been some interesting dinners as a result :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 21:40 »
WE have these kinds of dinners as well - they are officially called Mix-ups!!!

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 16:12 »
went to the t***o at the petrol station on my way home from swimming last night and picked up two MASSIVE ploughman's sandwiches for 45p: ginsters steak slices for 20p each, a box of grapes for 64p (from £2.55 (!)  ) that's sorted lunch boxes out for the next couple of days!   :lol:

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 19:29 »
WE have these kinds of dinners as well - they are officially called Mix-ups!!!

We have mix up's towards payday hahahahha there good sometimes you get to eat all kinds in 1 meal
Thanks
Kris

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 19:38 »
It's good to read of people getting a good deal but it make me cross >:( that the big supermarkets charge extra on all goods to cover the cost of things they throw away.

If they reduced their prices across the board there would be far less good food sitting on the shelves unsold or destined to be thrown in the bin....many more people could eat healthily and well... I guess big profits will always come first. :mad:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 19:55 »
Yup, end of the month ... tonight's gourmet meal included scrambled egg with onion, and tomatoes that had seen better days, with some mince & rice on the side, oh yes some toast as there wasn't much rice. Pudding was chopped pears -- brown bits chpped off I mean!!
Great stuff  :D

digalotty

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 21:01 »
wowww,you get pudding :D

Celery

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 21:11 »
I went to Asda and they were charging 10 pence for 6 tomato.That was on Sunday morning.I must admit I was surprised becaused they had all afternoon to sell them. :)
                                                                                                                                  Celery

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 21:17 »
I went into local coop on friday eve just as manageress was going and heard her say that they had doubled up on meat order by mistake and would probably end up giving it away!! so i thought that they should give some to me :lol:
Didn't exactly give it away but it was all half price or less by sunday eve....so i filled a basket :D :D and some of it was on buy 1 get 1 free, so they knocked off the original price....don't you just love it when that happens ::)

xx
free food!!

Started by agapanthus on Frugal Living

16 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 23:28
by agapanthus
xx
Free and Wild Food

Started by stompy on Frugal Living

187 Replies
Last post October 24, 2017, 12:04
by Aled
xx
BTCV free food guide

Started by Yorkie on Frugal Living

7 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 11:23
by scabs
xx
Free 14 day trial of Garden Advice Club (+ 2 FREE GARDENING BOOKS)

Started by commerlad on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 08:55
by commerlad

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 40 queries.