Has 'The Good Life' effect hit you yet?

• 31 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Has 'The Good Life' effect hit you yet?
« on: August 12, 2014, 17:02 »
It just dawned on me its that time of year again.

My kitchen is starting to look like a production line.  Piles of produce everywhere all washed, packed and lined up for the dehydrator, sauce making (remembering to keep the skins for tomato skin powder - done 1 batch already  ;)), blanching ready for the freezer .............  and I've not even done any serious pickling or preserving yet  :lol:

Lardman

Re: Has 'The Good Life' effect hit you yet?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 19:20 »
It's really slow here, I've done one batch of runners for the freezer but that's all.  :( I looked at the courgette plants earlier and there's just nothing on them  :wacko: Im about to lose the battle with botyrtis in the bottom GH which will see off the tomatoes very early this season.   >:(

Still there's always next year....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 20:01 »
The end worktop of my kitchen is covered in harvested stuff, and green toms hopefully ripening (if they're not quick about it - they'll be green tomato chutney  :D )

Ratatouille portions are in freezer, passata in freezer, French beans in freezer, bags of cherry toms in freezer, sliced peppers in freezer - so I'm doing well, so far  :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 20:12 »
Some of the toms have blight.  :(

And since discovering courgette crisps in the dehydrator, we don't have enough courgettes!  :ohmy:

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 20:13 »
What worktops I cant see them.  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 20:16 »
Some of the toms have blight.  :(

That's why I have so many green ones - I'm turning them all each day, and throwing away any that develop the brown marks. It's 4 days since I chopped the plants down and I only found 1 dodgy 1 today  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 08:11 »
Its a showery day today, so some serious squirrelling away is planned.

I have a pile of tomatoes for sauce making and loads of french beans to deal with, plus the first batch of peppers from the greenhouse.  I'm contemplating Italian style preserved peppers as I have a recipe for these I've been wanting to try  :)  The other option would be a mixed garden pickle as I have cucamelons and courgettes as well - decisions, decisions  :wacko:

The dehydrator has just finished doing raspberries and pineapple.  The pineapples were 65p Aldi ones, so have got a whole jar full for just £1.30.  It tastes just as good as I had hoped, having read rave reviews from others  8)

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 12:23 »
I've just taken out 2 courgettes I sliced and put in the dehydrator only to find I binned all my coffee jars in a fit of 'must clean-up' madness last week  ::) They're not bad as crisps, perhaps a little seasoning is needed but certainly munchable.

.. The pineapples were 65p Aldi ones

I saw a recipe for sweet pineapple and habanero sauce yesterday ... 65p makes it tempting.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 13:25 »
Today there's a big pot of pasta/chilli sauce bubbling away and I've chopped a bagful of purple beans for blanching in a mo.

I forgot the white vinegar for the sweet peppers, so they'll wait on the plants for another day or 2

jaydig

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 15:15 »
Know what you mean. I'm just taking time out from the veg factory to catch up with you guys. I spent yesterday morning on the allotment and the kitchen surfaces are all covered with bags of veg, plus a carrier bag full of windfall cooking apples. My freezer is absolutely rammed, and the neighbours run and hide when they see me coming with yet more veggies. I have just finished clearing out and re-organising the freezers so I can get some more stuff in, and I'm due to go to the allotment again in the morning. My husband is always asking why I grow so much, but you always have to put in a bit extra for insurance, don't you, and I can't bear throwing any plants away once they have struggled to germinate and grow.  It's the same every year, but I bet if I only sowed and planted exactly what I thought we'd need, it would be a dreadful year, and we'd end up not having enough. Has anyone out there cracked it yet?

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 14:33 »
I've just taken out 2 courgettes I sliced and put in the dehydrator only to find I binned all my coffee jars in a fit of 'must clean-up' madness last week  ::) They're not bad as crisps, perhaps a little seasoning is needed but certainly munchable.

I sprinkle mine with a little lemon, salt and a good twist of black pepper. Yum. Goes amazingly well with homemade tzatziki.

The dehydrator has just finished doing raspberries and pineapple.  The pineapples were 65p Aldi ones, so have got a whole jar full for just £1.30.  It tastes just as good as I had hoped, having read rave reviews from others  8)

The pineapple is gorgeous. Have come back from the market with a loaded bike. Have you tried watermelon yet? That's next on our list. Small Child is eating my produce as fast as the dehydrator can churn it out.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 15:16 »
Do you season the courgettes before they go in the dehydrator? How thick are your slices? My first lot shrivelled up a lot.

Currently I am dealing with the raspberry mountain: dehydrator going and a vat of jam boiling too. Dehydrated raspberries are just amazing -- winter porridge springs to  mind there  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 15:39 »
Have you tried watermelon yet?

No I haven't, so consulted the dehydrator book.  It is recommended you cut the flesh into chunks, as slices dry paper thin and can be difficult to get off the trays  :)

Lardman

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 16:47 »
I sprinkle mine with a little lemon, salt and a good twist of black pepper. Yum. Goes amazingly well with homemade tzatziki.

I was of a mind to sprinkle some Cajun seasoning over them to give them a bit of a twang :tongue2:

Do you season the courgettes before they go in the dehydrator? How thick are your slices? My first lot shrivelled up a lot.

I tried both with the box grater on the slice side and with a knife about 2mm thick. The thicker ones were more cougettey the grated ones could have been anything as they were too thin to taste and no use for dipping.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 20:01 »
Have you tried watermelon yet?

No I haven't, so consulted the dehydrator book.  It is recommended you cut the flesh into chunks, as slices dry paper thin and can be difficult to get off the trays  :)

I start the watermelon on baking paper and put them onto the tray once they have shrunk a bit as they are very juicy and sticky at first.

xx
One good knife

Started by Steveharford on Kitchen Natter

16 Replies
Last post August 01, 2014, 14:38
by compostqueen
xx
Blooming good job I can juggle!!!

Started by Mrs Bee on Kitchen Natter

2 Replies
Last post March 31, 2015, 19:48
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Prolex slow cooker any good?

Started by Madame Cholet on Kitchen Natter

20 Replies
Last post June 18, 2014, 21:24
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 39 queries.