Lemon drizzle cake question

• 5 Replies

MalcW

Lemon drizzle cake question
« on: October 03, 2013, 14:33 »
Hi all. When I made a lemon drizzle cake for the first time I used a silicone sandwich tin, and the cake it sunk in the middle about 10 minutes before time was up. The next time I used a metal tin and it was fine. The time after that I used the silicone one again, thinking that the first attempt was probably just beginners bad luck, and it sank again, though not quite as badly. Last week I made another one, back in the metal tin this time, and it was fine.
Anyone have any ideas why?
I should probably point out that this was over a period of time - I don't want to give the impression that we live on drizzle cake. Though I can think of worse things...

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
Re: Lemon drizzle cake question
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 16:47 »
I have to admit I've never tried cooking in silicone, but although I add quite a lot of liquid to mine, I've never had a problem with the rise in a standard cake tin.  It's actually my grandmother's recipe, so it's certainly what you might call tried and tested!!

I'm therefore wondering whether it may be something to do with temperature and liquid content combined with the 'waterproof' texture of the silicone?  My grandma's recipe is more like a madeira cake as it has extra flour to soak up the added liquid: 

For the Sponge:
4oz Butter or Margarine
4oz Caster Sugar
6oz Self-Raising Flour
¼  Tsp Baking Powder
Grated Zest of 2 Lemons
2 Eggs
½ Cup Warm Milk, or Juice of 1 Lemon

For the Topping:
Juice of 1 Lemon and 5 Tbsp Granulated Sugar, Combined
2 Additional Tbsp Granulated Sugar

In a free-standing mixer, combine the fat and sugar until light and fluffy, then add the eggs one at a time along with a little flour to prevent curdling, beating after each one.

Stir in milk or lemon juice.

Sift in the remaining flour and fold in.

Stir in the finely grated lemon zest, then pour the mixture into a greased and lined tin and bake at Gas 3, 160C, 140C Fan for one hour.

When the cake springs back when pressed lightly in the centre, remove from the oven and prick the surface with a fork or skewer.  Whilst still in the tin, spoon over the combined lemon juice and sugar.  You may need to use a spatula to ensure an even coating, and to encourage the syrup into the pricked surface.

Once the topping has settled/soaked in, remove the cake from the tin and place on a cooling rack. Sprinkle the remaining two tablespoons of sugar over the top to provide a crunchy texture, and leave to cool.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 17:34 »
I make the nigella version regularly - never had a problem but then I only use a metal tin.  Could there be something in the heat distribution of silicone that stops the middle getting hot enough in what is a fairly heavy mix?

I agree though, there are many worse things.... :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 10:17 »
I imagine you put the silicone container on a metal baking tray when you put it in the oven. Which should give it the heat from underneath. 

I always use metal tins for the cakes but silicone for making mince pies as you don't get any stickers in the silicone trays.

Optimistic Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 11:14 »
I follow the Mary Berry receipe.  Because I only have one metal loaf tin and one silicone loaf 'tin', I have to use both if I am making a double batch.  I use them side by side on a metal baking sheet to make it easier to put in / pull out of the oven.  Never had any problems with them at all. 

The photo shows my cakes cooling - I've taken the one on the right out of the silicone 'tin' but the one on the left is still in the metal tin.

OG
Drizzle cake.jpg
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 11:19 by Optimistic Gardener »

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 11:41 »
I use nigellas receipe and its good in both ceramic loaf tin and metal, i do have sillisone too but i have never used it just cant get my head around it being so wobbly.  :unsure: will stick to my tins i think. People do rave about them though so maybe its a drop in oven temp rather than the tin. I have had a tried and tested cake before dip due to a very short power cut that i had missed.

xx
Lemon drizzle cake

Started by mrs bouquet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2018, 16:48
by mrs bouquet
xx
Lemon Drizzle cake - posted by DanielCoffey

Started by mumofstig on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2020, 07:48
by GraciesGran
xx
Parsnip and fruit loaf with lemon drizzle

Started by Debz on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post November 22, 2011, 19:04
by Madame Cholet
xx
Lemon pound cake

Started by Lardman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post August 27, 2013, 13:55
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 38 queries.