Harvesting Garlic

• 25 Replies

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
Re: Harvesting Garlic
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 00:00 »
I bought my Garlic from the Garlic Farm (Solent Wight) and planted at the end of September. All the leaves are still green and presumably still growing so will wait until they start to wilt. I'm certainly no expert on this however.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 06:18 »
Yep, same here. I'm leaving mine in the ground for now. Leaves are yellowing at the tips but mostly green and not falling over. Chris - perhaps conditions for yours was too dry. Been dry here too so I watered mine accasionally.

Not sure which Chris you are replying to (we seem to have a Chris-mass on this site!  :tongue2:), but if it is me, I have been watering regularly and plentifully until about 2 weeks ago when my instructions told me to cease. Going to chop my garlic up this week - definitely!

Im Kris with a Kicking K hahahaha mine have had some water over the dry spell.
Thanks
Kris

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 07:45 »
I bought my Garlic from the Garlic Farm (Solent Wight) and planted at the end of September. All the leaves are still green and presumably still growing so will wait until they start to wilt. I'm certainly no expert on this however.

Yes. my Solent White and my Chesnock, also from the Garlic Farm are in the same state as yours - green leaves and still growing. It is only the Iberian White which is showing signs of being ready. I have left the others in the ground for a couple more weeks to see if it makes any difference even though the instructions specifically say not to - am keeping a close eye on them - don't want them to rot!! It seems to me that the timing is quite fine with these!  ??? Not sure I will bother with garlic next year  ::)

Paul Plots

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 00:42 »
Yep, same here. I'm leaving mine in the ground for now. Leaves are yellowing at the tips but mostly green and not falling over. Chris - perhaps conditions for yours was too dry. Been dry here too so I watered mine accasionally.

Not sure which Chris you are replying to (we seem to have a Chris-mass on this site!  :tongue2:), but if it is me, I have been watering regularly and plentifully until about 2 weeks ago when my instructions told me to cease. Going to chop my garlic up this week - definitely!

Im Kris with a Kicking K hahahaha mine have had some water over the dry spell.

Kicking "K"...... phonic alphabet? What was the name of that series of books?  ???

Clever cat  ???  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 08:42 »
Kicking "K"...... phonic alphabet? What was the name of that series of books? 

my grandchildren are learning to call it a kicking 'ke' (sound) as well  :D

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 20:05 »
We have tonight used half of the garlic I dug up the other day! I cut the top leaves off but left quite a bit of stem and cut it vertically. You can see the cloves have actually separated when you do this. I then just chopped it all up - a bit like a leek and it was added to a bolognese sauce. The flavour was very mild but it definitely came through and was a gentle alternative to the way garlic usually comes through in a dish. Very nice - and if you can imagine garlic flavoured leeks, you have got it in one!!! :D

Snoop

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 22:45 »
"I cut the top leaves off but left quite a bit of stem and cut it vertically. You can see the cloves have actually separated when you do this"

Hi Chris, I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that the head of garlic is actually separated into cloves, but the cloves are not surrounded with a papery skin?

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 12:30 »
"I cut the top leaves off but left quite a bit of stem and cut it vertically. You can see the cloves have actually separated when you do this"

Hi Chris, I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that the head of garlic is actually separated into cloves, but the cloves are not surrounded with a papery skin?

That's right - the papery skin only appears when the garlic has dried. If you cut through the head of garlic you will actually see the cloves, but it is difficult to separate them when they are wet. If you can bear to dig one up and cut it open you will see what I mean. The taste is quite mild, but still lovely!

bigben

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 12:37 »
We have tonight used half of the garlic I dug up the other day! I cut the top leaves off but left quite a bit of stem and cut it vertically. You can see the cloves have actually separated when you do this. I then just chopped it all up - a bit like a leek and it was added to a bolognese sauce. The flavour was very mild but it definitely came through and was a gentle alternative to the way garlic usually comes through in a dish. Very nice - and if you can imagine garlic flavoured leeks, you have got it in one!!! :D

I read on a post a few months ago that the French call leeks baton garlic.

superluke2

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 13:18 »

is this it?
http://www.letterland.com/

Paul Plots

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 01:01 »

is this it?
http://www.letterland.com/

That's it - Letterland! I remember reading the books / stories with my son - now 24!  ::)

xx
Is anyone harvesting garlic yet?

Started by NewSteve on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 16:37
by vanessa.xx
xx
Harvesting garlic

Started by The Golden Heap on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 04, 2013, 15:30
by pdblake
xx
Harvesting my Garlic?

Started by Glen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 21:27
by Trillium
xx
Harvesting Garlic

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 19, 2010, 20:09
by Trillium

Page created in 0.474 seconds with 40 queries.