New Hens and Henhouse

• 15 Replies

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
New Hens and Henhouse
« on: May 02, 2010, 13:55 »
Hi, on Friday picked up our 8 16 week old hens ( Hybreds- Goldline) for the allotment. We left them in the henhouse for 24hrs and then opened the pophole for them to explore. which they were very reluctant to! although eventually all piled up at the top of the ladder and sat there for a couple of hours. With some coersion and a gentle helping hand they eventually all made it down onto terafirma. We were trying to work on the plot but were stopping all the time to watch the hens, must of been so strange for them after 16 weeks in a barn, anyhow they all found the feeding tray and the water, one even found a small worm and eventually swallowed it !! We went home for our tea and wondered if they would figure out how to get back into the henhouse, were really chuffed on our return just before dusk as they had all negoiated the ladder and were all back inside.

I made the henhouse and run from scratch, all I've had to buy was the wire mesh, preservative and hinges. Having seen them in there I need to increase the size of the perches and give them a small shelter on the ground. I've hopefully attached a couple of photos.
first adventure.JPG
coop & run.JPG

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: New Hens and Henhouse
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 14:29 »
It's amazing what you can make from very little isn't it?  that's a nice sized run for your new girls.  Does the door at the back go anywhere? :D :D

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 14:48 »
There was a chance of us having the plot next to us (now occupied),so i put the the door in just in case ! The 2 small doors at the front are for 2 extra pens (about 11x7 feet each) which we hope to alternate. I was fortunate to be able to get hold of some large pallets which I stripped and used as the frames for the panels, the doors were from a skip and the henhouse made from large packing cases.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 20:46 »
looks fab, congrats, and lovely lovely girls,  youve got hopefully 8 fresh eggs a day to look forward to, hens are very distracting, everytime i walk past my kitchen window i usually end up stopping and watching them.   Nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

nervous newbie

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 23:10 »
This is very encouraging.. You have given me lots of inspiration, ideas and advice all in one.. I am new to this game and very excitied about being distracted by 'my girls'  What you have achieved has really got my imagination about how i want my run to look like. Good luck with 'your girls' :)

TeaPots

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 23:12 »
Looks great, well done you  :D
I have to agree on how time consuming they are though.....not cos they take up time caring for them, just I love to stand and watch their antics. The boys especially are entertaining, choosing which hen is 'next', offering a nice piece of grass! then performing the dance, while she walks off, rosey in disgust at the measly present.

birds in a basket

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 12:54 »
Lovely new home for your lovely new girls  :D  Pallet wood is great isn't it?  The back of my OH's workshop looks like a pallet storage yard - it's amazing the things he makes out of it...........  :wub: :blink:
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 16:15 »
Thanks for all your comments, gave the girls a quick look this morning, although on my arrival only one had found her way out, however within a couple of minutes of me calling  they were all down in the run. Can't wait for my next day off so I can fit the wider perches and make modifications to the ladder, regards to you all

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 17:22 »
I've now added the frame for the first grass pen to allow the hens access to fresh greenage? and hopefully I can get the other ready in a week, then I can alternate them between the two. They've had access for 4 days now and haven't (fingers crossed) started to scratch the surface up yet, The pen is closed up in the evening. The Idea is based on the Balfour Method which I read about in one of John Seymours Books.
DSC00402.JPG
DSC00406.JPG

Pretty Chick

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 17:30 »
It looks really good  :)
All lives are precious.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 17:37 »
wots the Balfour Method. :mellow:    nickyx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 19:38 »
if I remember correctly (I gave my copy of this book away) they have access to straw in one section for scratching and then have several sections for grass - this way it helps keep the grass ok  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 21:47 »
You are correct Joyfull, I've also given the copy I borrowed back . From what I remember the main (scratch) pen is kept dry and as much greenstuff as you like can be put in there, then cleaned out periodically and put onto the compost heap. 

newatthis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 22:02 »
run and the girls look great, can i ask what did you do to stop mr fox getting in ?
zoe pattinson :)

hillfooter

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 09:54 »
Well done lastcast, it's always very satisfying to make something yourself and something more of of us can do if we put our minds to it.
HF
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 13:46 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

xx
New Henhouse!!

Started by YoungChickenLover on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post November 02, 2012, 19:41
by YoungChickenLover
xx
Disaster in the henhouse!!

Started by Thrift on Chicken Chat

18 Replies
Last post January 03, 2012, 13:37
by JaK
xx
Interior Design for Henhouse

Started by Junie on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 23:04
by Junie
xx
New Hens !

Started by BlackRockLovers on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2010, 22:00
by BlackRockLovers

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 39 queries.