grass subsitute

• 12 Replies

karlooben

grass subsitute
« on: August 25, 2009, 20:48 »
guys my girls dont get grass as much as i would like them to so is there something out there that i could use as a replacement for natural grass ? i know i can get alfaha etc for horses but i dont know if that will be any good .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

snowflake

• Experienced Member
Re: grass subsitute
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 09:31 »
any of the Brassica family like cabbage, kale, broc and brussles the leaves the girls will love also weeds they will sort out which they like.
if you know someone with a alotment or a local vedge shop they will give you the spare leaves. mine love lettuce but it does give them the runs and very black so not too often.

mjd

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 10:01 »
Sprouted grains are said to be good, high in protein and enzymes.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 11:11 »
If you have got a veg patch put in a row of spinach beet , dead easy to grow and the chooks like it. They prefer chickweed which i always have a supply of . :D

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 11:26 »
I was thinking looby, maybe you could construct a folding pen which fits over one of your veggie beds, then you could pop a few birds in during the day when you are actually working on the plot. Maybe they could wear colour coded leg rings so that you could pop 5 or 6 in at anyone time, then they all get a go once a week to graze? You could  then rent your pen and a few chooks out to other lotty members as mini JCBs! :lol: :lol:

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 11:36 »

Oooo! yes mine get sprouted corn, really simple to do! you just pop corn in a bucket and fill up with water. leave for 12 hours then tip out the water and rinse the corn well and drain again. then just pop a tea towel or something over the top of the bucket. leave for a few days to sprout  BUT and this is very important!! you must rinse and drain the corn EVERY day as germinating seeds produce a bitter substance which isnt very nice and they will get smelly if not rinsed every day! feed to the chookies after 1 last rinse when the corn is soft and twice the size and has ess than a cm of root on!(more goodness that way) stand back and watch them fight over it  :D
Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 12:34 »
Thats good idea, i'll give that a go :)
  Looby couldn't you ask other allotment peeps for some of their grass cuttings?
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 13:28 »

Oooo! yes mine get sprouted corn, really simple to do! you just pop corn in a bucket and fill up with water. leave for 12 hours then tip out the water and rinse the corn well and drain again. then just pop a tea towel or something over the top of the bucket. leave for a few days to sprout  BUT and this is very important!! you must rinse and drain the corn EVERY day as germinating seeds produce a bitter substance which isnt very nice and they will get smelly if not rinsed every day! feed to the chookies after 1 last rinse when the corn is soft and twice the size and has ess than a cm of root on!(more goodness that way) stand back and watch them fight over it  :D
Debbie

I tried to sprout wheat last winter after hearing how nutritional they were, and particulary useful in the winter, well I cant seem to grow anything and mine just turned into green mouldy grain :( :( But a really good idea if you can!!! :D

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 17:56 »
at the mo ppl dont seem to be going over there like they used to which is annoying  , they are getting all veg i can grow for them its just the grass i wish they could get more of . foxy has seen my plot an run so she will know and picture this  :lol: , next to the run is the other side of my plot which if i can do it i  want to join another 2 metres of space to the runs main fencing  add a little pop hole in the main fence which can then be secured an in time grass of 2 m by 10 m bit of ground which i will let the girls on each sat an sun then for 5 days it can get rested { dont know how long it will last  :lol: } but that may not happen for a few months yet also i need to let the grass grow .

i could easily add on a lower run which wont cost much but if i did that the fox would be able to jump onto the other run { netting roofing } which i dont want to do .

as for the coloured rings idea i already had that just havent got round to getting them .

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 09:50 »
Beware if you feed grass cuttings. Grass starts to break down very quickly and heats up, could make them poorly. It is easy to kill a horse by feeding grass cuttings but maybe hens are different, I know I wouldn't risk it. :ohmy: :ohmy:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

karlooben

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 19:48 »
i know all about it with feeding it to horses , but my girls get it the monent its cut so its still very fresh i'm so cautious about what they get fed .

animartco

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 12:11 »
guys my girls dont get grass as much as i would like them to so is there something out there that i could use as a replacement for natural grass ? i know i can get alfaha etc for horses but i dont know if that will be any good .
Grass has vitamins etc that no other vegetables have, although a mixture is desirable, Why don't you leave a little bit of lawn unmowed and cut it with shears, while it is still short, a few cuts a day, and simply feed it to them. That's what I do.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 14:04 »
Karloobens post was from last August so I think she may have sorted it out by now  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Grass

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 08:59
by joyfull
xx
grass

Started by phil.freda on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 19:08
by poultrygeist
xx
no grass

Started by gailtearle on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 10:17
by joyfull
xx
i used to have grass

Started by freshers on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post December 19, 2008, 17:44
by freshers

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 39 queries.