Vegetarian week.

• 9 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

Vegetarian week.
« on: July 31, 2016, 22:02 »
Well my OH and I are going vegetarian for a week. His idea which is amazing as a dyed in the wool hunter and carnivore. He made an amazing veg curry tonight and we are going to have (homemade) cheese and courgette omelette tomorrow and spiralised veg and sauce one night but struggling to think of veggie meals for the rest of the week. We would like to try and do a week a month so don't want it to be boring and give it up.

So what are people's go-to veggie recipes, preferably good for tired, overworked people who don't want to spend hours cooking (yes, I know, I want the moon on a stick too!).
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Vegetarian week.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 22:12 »
I like a veggie chilli, just double the beans and leave out the meat, in your normal recipe - works for me  :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 22:18 »
Sounds great, Nick loves his chilli.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 06:51 »
'Wrongles pie'! (Grand daughter's word, not mine...)!

Lots of fresh tomatoes and courgettes, chopped up and popped in a 6" baking dish and about two inches deep, plenty of garlic and herbs, then four thickish discs cut from a French stick floating on top with parmesan cheese thinly sliced all over and a few natural breadcrumbs and black pepper for colour... Bake until toasted and hot.

Marvellous, especially now when there is a glut of toms and courgettes!

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 07:44 »
Aubergine parmigiana, recipe says fry the aubergine slices but I brush with oil & grill, make a very rich tomato,onion& garlic sauce, by cooking for hours,slow cooker might work. Then layer sauce & aubs,top with mozzarella & bake until bubbling & browning.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 12:49 »
Sweet potato curry - my favourite veggie quick fix.  Minimal chopping, everything just gets bunged in and then you wander off for a bit and do something else while it makes you a meal  :)

Wash a couple of sweet potatoes and cut into chunks - no need to peel
Fry in a bit of oil with a chopped onion
Add a few spoonfuls of curry paste out of a jar
Add a tin of chick peas, liquid and all
Add a tin of chopped tomatoes, a squeeze of tomato puree, salt and taste it to see if it needs a bit of sugar
Add water from the kettle as needed to make a sauce
Simmer about 20 minutes and chuck in a handful of chopped greens at the end (chard, spinach, whatever you have to hand)

wighty

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 17:26 »
There was a veggie recipe competition on here a while ago and I, with others submitted our favourites.  Have a look there, should give you some other ideas.

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 23:26 »
Think this is the one Wighty is referring to.........most of which are in recipes under Recipes & Food.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=56393.0
Val
Recipes Galore!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 21:35 »
Thanks all. Some great ideas.

So far we have had veggie curry, bean burgers and salad and tonight we had jacket potatoes and cheese. Tomorrow is mushroom risotto. We are actually really enjoying it and planning on making it a regular even.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 21:24 »
Veggie 'shepherds pie'. This is great as it can use up any veg! Ones I like are swede (pre-cooked), courgette, green beans, tomatoes but anything goes. Throw it in a dish with chopped toms and a bit of extra liquid, top with mashed sweet potato and cook for 40 mins or so. Top with grated mature cheddar for an extra treat.

I like it best cold the next day for lunch but hubby prefers it hot on the night it is made

xx
What can I cook different Vegetarian please?

Started by Madame Cholet on Kitchen Natter

40 Replies
Last post November 20, 2014, 20:09
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 36 queries.