Leftovers and waste

• 64 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Leftovers and waste
« on: December 28, 2015, 10:11 »
Well, given all the press on this recently, how have you done with your Christmas food.  I didn't go mad with the shopping, but we did have a couple of things approaching use by dates in the fridge - smoked salmon and cream being the main ones to get used up.   There was brie to use by the New Year and the rest - cheese, salami and cold meats all have huge long use by dates on, so I wasn't worried about them. 

Nothing has been wasted yet and I wasn't going to start, so leftover lard and butter from making homemade pork pie was turned into shortcrust pastry and I made 2 luxurious smoked salmon and brie quiches for the freezer, with a bit of cream in the filling.  There was leftover pastry for the freezeras well, which is always good to have and  leftover stock from filling the pork pies has also been frozen and is earmarked for soup  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Leftovers and waste
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 11:26 »
Today, the leftover ham joint has been portioned and frozen, some went in a quiche which used up a little cream as well. Seems a popular option  ;)

All cakes, puddings mince pies were sent home with willing family. So I can't be tempted to eat them all  :blush:

Little pit of turkey to use today in a curry, oh and there's a garlic/herb cheese to eat by Wednesday.

So, all in all nothing being wasted here.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 13:29 »
Nothing gets wasted here.

I keep an eye on the use by dates and any cream is turned into chocolate or toffee sauce and frozen, the left over smoked salmon is in the freezer to be turned into pate at a later date.

Fresh salad and veg is incorporated in the menu planning. There was some cheese left from the cheeseboard, I did rather over do the cheese, which I have frozen so Mr Bee can start eating his special order of West country cheeses.

How much cheese can a Mr Bee eat? one hell of a lot. :lol:

Most of our Christmas goodies were in the freezer so we take out as we need them. And they get trotted out between now and New Year so we don't over eat at Christmas. We have plenty but don't stuff to excess and we enjoy the food more like that.

Most of the Christmas food has gone now, some sent with my son, some sent with my mum and Mr Bee just grazes all day and it is amazing how much food he consumes. He doesn't put any weight on either. >:(

I just  need to portion up the remains of the turkey and freeze it for my favourite treat... a turkey and pickle sandwich.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 14:43 »
Me too, nothing here gets wasted!

Before Christmas we went to the cash and carry and bought extra large beef joint and extra large gammon joint.  Ate what we wanted fresh, plus saved some sliced beef for sandwiches.  Remainder of beef cut into 3 small joints and frozen, leftover gammon this afternoon will be cut into 2 or 3 joints and frozen. 

No leftover veg so far, and we've been wading through the few mince pies and sausage rolls I made, gave a few to our old friends in the village, and I only made a very small cake.  half a Christmas pud for tonight, the small one in the fridge we'll have Friday.  The other 2 small ones are in the freezer.

Haven't used the prawns I got yet, but they are safely in the freezer already. 

Actually, we popped into the cash and carry yesterday as I wanted to see if they had any 'use by' that day cream so I could make some butter, but they only had single and that doesn't work.  But I got 2x1k packs of Swedish meatballs for just over £3, 1k of chipolatas for just over £1.  5 packets of ham for 40p each, and 2 packs of finest beef mince for £1.50 each.  They are all divided up into small portions and frozen  ;)

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 16:04 »
I'm looking at a small mountain of turkey- I can freeze it cooked Mrs Bee?  I want to make a pie but we're now going away tomorrow night.  I'm not sure I can be bothered to do stock with the carcass as am up to my neck in washing visitor bedding (11 Christmas day)
Boy when they say 'feeds 15-18' they were not kidding for once!  :D

The beef all went, ham all gone, veggies under control (pumpkin/veg chilli last night when they got back from Rugby- didn't touch the sides..).
Lots of cheese but that will go.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 16:27 »
I'm looking at a small mountain of turkey- I can freeze it cooked

Yes, you can!
You can also freeze the carcass to make your stock later  :nowink:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 17:21 »
We are waste-free so far too, and aim to stay that way. A decent bubble and squeak on Boxing Day saw off all the remaining cooked veg, and the hard cheeses that were opened and in danger of drying out are grated and in the freezer.

Cream is being added to a blackcurrant delice tomorrow, and left over Christmas pudding and mincemeat (jar opened) are joining together as a filiing inside a glazed puff pastry festive star. Both of these are for our family get together on Friday.

The extremely smelly cheese we were given as a gift is proving a challenge.. it does taste good but the smell was oozing from the fridge and filling the house, despite it being triple wrapped. It is now on the back door step in a sealed plastic box. The smell is much less outside!!

Any ideas please, as to what we could do with it to make something delicious?

For anyone wit left-over cooked turkey, James Martin made a pate with some and it looked scrummy. Never would have thought of that!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 17:23 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 18:38 »
We only hosted Christmas Day and went elsewhere on Boxing Day so the only leftovers we have are turkey. I have frozen it for now as we are going away for NY but not decided what to do with it yet. Last year turkey fajitas were a hit (we don't really do pies or curries)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 18:45 »
We're working our way through our leftovers - I made more than we would eat as we like leftovers... :D There are still thick slices of rare venison, veggie galette, some bread sauce and red cabbage. We have fresh swede, PSB and spuds to add to it tonight. Yum!!

Fresh mince pies going in the oven now.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 18:46 by surbie100 »

Mrs Bee

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 19:59 »

The extremely smelly cheese we were given as a gift is proving a challenge.. it does taste good but the smell was oozing from the fridge and filling the house, despite it being triple wrapped. It is now on the back door step in a sealed plastic box. The smell is much less outside!!

Cube the cheese, mix with spring onions, cubed ham, grain mustard to taste and a dollop of crème  fraiche to bind it all together. then use it as a filling to make samosas with filo pastry. You can then either cook and eat or open freeze until you want to cook them.

You could also use the mixture with all butter puff pastry to make small pies or tarts. Or use the cheese both grated or cubed in a quiche.

Or pan haggerty.
I am using a chunk of ham with some chicken, dill, mustard and crème fraiche to make little filo samosas.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 21:49 »
I'm looking at a small mountain of turkey- I can freeze it cooked

Yes, you can!
You can also freeze the carcass to make your stock later  :nowink:

Another thing that some people don't realise, is that although they say that once meat is defrosted not to re-freeze it, but what they don't tell you is that once that defrosted meat is cooked, because the cooking process has changed the molecular structure of the meat, you can then re-freeze it.  ;)

I was talking to my cousin the other day.  She said after Christmas she really must try to lose a little bit of weight, and that as she is on her own, she never bothered making any mince pies because she would eat them all.

I said she could have frozen them, then get them out 1 or 2 at a time as she wanted them.  "Ah yes" she said, "but that's before they are cooked!"  I assured her that she could have cooked them, then frozen them, or even if she'd bought some from the shop, she could have frozen the extras.

Mind you, some of the shops ones, the pastry is sooooo short that they'd probably break up once defrosted!

Mrs Bee

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 22:34 »
Worse than that Grannie, the pastry is soft and soggy. :(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 09:49 »

Cube the cheese, mix with spring onions, cubed ham, grain mustard to taste and a dollop of crème  fraiche to bind it all together. then use it as a filling to make samosas with filo pastry. You can then either cook and eat or open freeze until you want to cook them.

You could also use the mixture with all butter puff pastry to make small pies or tarts. Or use the cheese both grated or cubed in a quiche.

Or pan haggerty.
I am using a chunk of ham with some chicken, dill, mustard and crème fraiche to make little filo samosas.

Thank you for tos sugestions. We don't eat ham in our house but the tarts sound excellent and will be added to our "nibbles" list for Friday's Do :D

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 10:51 »
Worse than that Grannie, the pastry is soft and soggy. :(

Yes, even when you first buy them!   If Brian asks for any when we are shopping, I sometimes let him have a packet, but they are awful aren't they?  I prefer to wait until I make mine, like most of us on here!    ;) ;) ;)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 11:11 »

Funny you were asking about cheese.  I also have leftovers, but thankfully not smelly enough to warrant banishment from the house  :lol:

I think this site must be sponsored by Wallace and Gromit, but it has some darn fine cheese recipes on it.  I thought the biscuits on this page sounded good and the dough is versatile.  You can make biscuits or tart cases  :)

http://www.ilovecheese.co.uk/cheesey-Christmas-snacks.html

xx
Christmas leftovers

Started by New shoot on Kitchen Natter

2 Replies
Last post December 29, 2018, 16:21
by snowdrops
xx
Christmas leftovers - are you winning the fight?

38 Replies
Last post January 16, 2015, 21:53
by superpete
clip
Food waste - I think I might have a problem…

21 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 16:43
by wighty
xx
Turning potential waste into ingredients

1 Replies
Last post March 30, 2016, 23:03
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 39 queries.