polytunnel help

• 3 Replies

jackie

polytunnel help
« on: January 04, 2011, 20:52 »
we recently bought a polytunnel 4 x 2 metres. My husband seems to think they are only suitable for starting off seedlings whereas I was under the impression you could grow veg in all year round. I was thinking of putting a couple of raised beds in there. If I am right, what sort of veg would be suitable to grow in there. Any advice would be appreciated

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: polytunnel help
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 20:53 »
My local organic nursery uses them for both purposes.  They grow the half-hardy plants in there, e.g. tomatoes, peppers, chillis, some herbs, cucumbers, courgettes, etc
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 22:57 »
To grow all year round you'd need extra heat and lighting, but a polytunnel can extend your growing season by several weeks each way.

I used to love mine, but now it's Brian's store room for his excess bits of wood, lawnmowers and rotavators!  But I have grown all sorts in there, including potatoes, carrots and leeks as well as the usual stuff!

You may find this interesting!

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=30820.0

RichardA

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 23:14 »
in spite of minus 14 degrees locally and heavy snows I still have spring cabbage, swiss chard, onions and parsley doing well in totally unheated polytunnel. Thro rest of year have had all salads, toms potatoes, peppers, aubs, chillis, pumpkins, squash, early peas and beans etc as well as Chrysanths, herbs incl lemon grass and more usual stuff. Lots of potential all year round, only prob will be fitting it all in.
Best of luck
R

xx
Polytunnel and Fox

Started by Bognor Lee on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 11:08
by mikem
xx
The Big Dig Polytunnel

Started by nothinghasdiedyet on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 22, 2007, 10:20
by jondanie
xx
Polytunnel....Help please

Started by Thrift on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 12, 2009, 10:34
by Thrift
xx
new polytunnel

Started by cAnAry53 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 19:17
by Goldfinger

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 39 queries.