Fruit cage just for the fruiting season

• 6 Replies

Zippy

Fruit cage just for the fruiting season
« on: March 13, 2011, 16:18 »
I have a 10 x 4 feet bed with autumn rasperries, a 10 x 4 feet bed with three blackcurrant bushes, a 10 x 4 bed with strawberries and a 10 x 4 bed with redcurrants and gooseberries.

My question is - what is the cheapest option to keep birds from eating their fill and leaving me with no fruit?

Can I construct a framework of netting and bamboo canes with pop bottles over the cane ends to drape the netting over and pegging the netting down to stop birds from hopping under?  Or do I have to go to the length of constructing permanent cages; adding to the expense of growing fruit?

I am thinking of netting the bushes as they come into bud for fruit but leaving the bushes open the rest of the year so birds can pick off any pests.

gillie

Re: Fruit cage just for the fruiting season
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 16:27 »
Yes. you can do that.  However it makes it difficult to pick the fruit.  How much do you enjoy crawling?  You will lose some fruit where the birds can reach through the netting and get at it.

Spana

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 16:35 »
Thats basicly what i do.  I just use some enviromesh and old net curtains and  cover just before the fruit ripens and anchor it down with bricks.   Trick is to get the cover over just at the right time because the birds start taking the fruit before  its really ripe.   Its a bit of a pain crawling under to pick  the fruit  and sometimes the net blows off in the wind but its the easiest option . :)

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 21:14 »
I'll be doing something similar as the robins are turning into terrible raspberry thieves  >:( I'd rather crawl under the netting  than get nothing.

Zippy

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 00:44 »
I'm only 5'4" and do yoga so I'm quite flexible for crawling!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 08:26 »
Zippy: I use exactly the same method you describe for my blueberries; with a bit of advanced planning you can arrange the pieces of netting to allow a slight overlap(/s) of adjacent pieces (secured with sprung clothes pegs) which can then be easily opened as a flap for access (I'm 6' and don't do yoga!)  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

savbo

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 10:55 »
I've put in a line of 4 x8' posts, standing about 6.5' out of the ground, with blackberry, raspberry, and loganberry planted between them. On top of the posts I've got 3' timbers making a T at right angles to the line of posts. My plan is to stretch wire between the ends of the Ts. and when it's getting to fruit time to drape net over the wires and down to ground level, stapled to light battens, giving me a temporary cage I can stand up in...

will probably all collapse or blow away like all my other ideas...  :)

xx
fruit cage

Started by alfieplot162 on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 21:24
by PennyS
xx
Fruit Cage

Started by Knight Family on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 09:06
by jonny
question
Fruit cage - DIY advice please.

Started by moreteavicar on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 28, 2021, 16:34
by rowlandwells
xx
Fruit cage recommendations

Started by RJR_38 on Design and Construction

23 Replies
Last post June 09, 2013, 20:37
by Dantheman

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 38 queries.