Progress with the propagator

• 14 Replies

Stree

Progress with the propagator
« on: March 11, 2013, 15:26 »
I am impressed with the heated propagator: Got lots of seeds in over the course of three days, Portulaca and Cosmos went in 2 days ago and they are both showing seedlings nearly 1" high......I better move these out soon.

Stree

Re: Progress with the propagator
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 16:16 »
Just checked again and can add Courgette Black Beauty and Cherry tomato Sweetie to that list! Both have been in 3 days.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 16:51 »
It sounds as if it's working well, but please slow down with the sowing!

That courgette is going to be enormous by the time it can be planted outside in 6/8 weeks time  :blink:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 17:08 »
Personally, I wouldn't like seedlings to grow an inch within 2 days of sowing. That sounds like weak and leggy seedlings.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Stree

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 17:23 »
Dave...
My thoughts too actually. BUT Its a first for me, a heated propagator, so I will have to learn how to judge it. It would be a miracle if I got it just right first time.
Actually I have only sown a small portion of each seed as an experiment, and its early enough to get another batch in, so if these are sacrificial so be it.
All I am saying is how pleased I am with the efficacy of the home made propagator.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 17:31 »
One of the main things with using propagators is identifying seeds that do not need to, or even should not go in a propagator.

Those that need cool conditions will either go leggy straight away or even not germinate at all.

The most I've ever used in 40 years of gardening is a plastic bag. I don't think that's about to change!  :lol:

Stree

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 18:10 »
I have grown in a cold greenhouse or cool windowsill for years too.....never had anything NOT propagate, just sometimes an age before germination and sometimes too late for a full season.
All the seeds that have been put into the propagator are on the advice of the seed seller, the RHS, this site, all my gardening books and last but not least, what it says on the seed packet!
I have no problems sowing without heat, just enjoying the change and getting acquainted with it.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 22:44 »
It sounds as if it's working well, but please slow down with the sowing!

That courgette is going to be enormous by the time it can be planted outside in 6/8 weeks time  :blink:

Perhaps Stree will be able to enter our village 'Grow Your Own' themed carnival - on May4th! :lol:

I certainly won't have anything ready to fruit or veg by that time for showing! :D

Tis' is bit early for courgettes even down where I am! :)

Stree

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 10:54 »
Well at this rate I think the courgette growth will be just about at the Devon outskirts, so that will save me a long trip.
Seriously though, I know its way too early, as I said before a heated propagator is an entirely new concept  for me, so just experimenting.
It has done remarkably well, some things ideally do not need a propagator at all but the seed packets all suggest a temperature for germinating the seeds and it is surprising how many stipulate 20c or even more.
Lots of the things I have in I have grown before, and have germinated in my unheated greenhouse and although it takes longer usually get there.
I am constructing a secondary home for the seedings for when they come out, a container built with insulated ( rigid foam type like Kingspan)sides and top and sides top and bottom lined internally with silver faced space blanket bubblewrap type insulation. This will be a 30" high open fronted "cupboard" wide enough for two full size seed trays (30") so will have either 6 or 8 trays in.
The front will be a drop down curtain of heavy clear visquine or even a sheet of clear perspex. This will be sat on the greenhouse staging with its back against the brick wall of my workshop ( the greenhouse is a lean to against the workshop) so the brick acts as a thermal store for my stove in the workshop which is on 24 hours over winter.
Here is what I have germinated  from 2 to 7 days :

Toms:
Black truffle, Brandywine yellow, White cherry, Sweetie cherry, Marglobe.

Courgette, Black Beauty.

Asparagus pea ( new one for me. not germinated yet)

Capsicum Californian Wonder  ( no show yet)

Mesembryanthemum, Lobelia, Verbena, Nepeta, Nemesia, Alyssum ( every other year I just broadcast sow this in late May and always comes up so trying for earlier show)
Portulaca ( rock rose) Heliachrysum, Dwarf Morning Glory, Phlox ( slow)
Cosmos, White Psyche and Brightness mixed. Then I ran out of room.
In the cold greenhouse I have a tray of home seed Nicotiana, germinated in 4 days!
A batch of May Queen early lettuce and 5 kinds of sweet pea. Some White Lisbon Spring onions in but no show from them yet  after 4 days.
I would have 6 kinds of sweet pea but the packet of Blue Chatsworh bought from T & M in February have let me down, not one germination. They have a disgruntled email from me.
I have other sweet pea  seeds that are  3 years old from Alan Romans that have stormed ahead. Wish he had stayed independent.
So as I say, just a few seeds of each type sown part experiment part hopeful preplanning, see what time brings. Has to be better than last year!

Agatha

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 12:42 »
Be warned - propagators can be seriously addictive. :happy:  When I first got mine, I started off experimenting 'just to get used to it'.  Now, I don't have that excuse, but I'm still experimenting  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  They are great fun & really improve results for some seeds.  I also find mine is great for more sensitive cuttings, as outside the propagator they don't cope so well with the big fluctuations in temperature.  I grew strelitzia regina from seed last year and the ones outside the propagator didn't do anything, but the ones inside did really well.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 13:29 »
Look out for Cosmos 'White Psyche' - the packet says "enough for 60 plants" - I had double that last year! Had to give loads away!

:lol:

Stree

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 19:43 »
Thought I would give an update on progress.
Well, everything but London Pride seed has germinated, ( London Pride is a complicated one, so does not count in this report!)
and all are doing rather well.
Still got capsicums ( about 35 plants) in the heated propagator and nicotiana seedlings, which seem very comfortable there and are very healthy and compact.
All the Toms and courgettes are potted on, gave all courgettes away except 2.
I planted about 7 each of 5 types of tomato and ALL germinated and all are doing very well. They are in the secondary stage thing I made along with the courgettes which are between 5" to 7" high . They stopped growing upwards so much and are thickening out very well. The toms are around 3" to 4" and most on the 3rd set of true leaves, so quite compact.
I think some folk mistook the Cosmos seedling for tom seedlings earlier. the cosmos being much leggier, as I assume they should be, being a single upright stem type plant.
When I repotted the toms I also put them a little deeper up the stem to get a better root system.
They will all make decent plants but I will not have room for more than a couple of each, they are all indeterminates so room will be at a premium. Still, with 2 beefsteaks, 2 cherry and the Marglobes I think I will have plenty. I got a couple of those Levington special tomato growbags and have high hopes for those. Need another one really.
Asparagus peas are doing really well, forming lovely clusters of leaves.
Just potted on lobelia, cosmos, morning glory, helichrysum and half of the mesembryenthemums.
So now all the staging and window space is full, but some out to cold frame soon and most of the sweetpeas will be planted out in  the next week or so.
Only a few weeks and it will be past last frost and I can think about planting out.........
So all in all I am very pleased with my experience with a heated propagator, made such a difference to the critical first stages and made the whole process so much more enjoyable ( and productive)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 22:13 »
Glad to hear it - I love my propagator, it's so handy for starting things off.

Stree

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 23:43 »
Thanks for the reply Surbie.
Not sure why, but I have sown seed for Reisentraube , Gardeners Delight and  Gartenperle today.
As if I need or can cope with more toms..........Then again,  I got use of next doors greenhouse as well today, its empty and has all the glass in ! and these toms do OK outside in baskets, pots  or tubs..
Plus sown more courgettes...... Might as well make use of this propagator...............

Agatha

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 13:30 »
I told you it's addictive  :lol:

xx
propagator in the greenhouse

Started by green jack on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post March 12, 2013, 21:12
by green jack
xx
Home made propagator

Started by Caretaker on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post January 16, 2014, 18:56
by AlaninCarlisle
clip
My new cable warming propagator

Started by Chilli Mick on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post October 19, 2017, 11:58
by Chilli Mick
xx
Propagator temperature - a warning

Started by Bernard on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

0 Replies
Last post March 06, 2018, 09:43
by Bernard

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 40 queries.