scaly leg treatment - egg withdrawal?

• 7 Replies

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
scaly leg treatment - egg withdrawal?
« on: September 12, 2011, 18:42 »
Just wanted to check - I am just about to spray 'just for scaly legs' by total poultry solutions on my chickens legs.  I know its on their legs but I just wanted to make sure its okay to keep eating their eggs?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: scaly leg treatment - egg withdrawal?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 19:13 »
No I wouldn't think there is any egg withdrawal period.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 20:05 »
Is there an easy way to do it?  It seems to go everywhere!!  My son was trying to hold them and I was trying to spray....   ::)  There were a few we couldnt catch. I think when we repeat it at the weekend we'll do it first thing when we let them out and catch them one at a time!!

Lloyd

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 21:00 »
We do it as a duo. One lifts and holds the bird tight under the charmpit. The other pulls a leg out and treats it.
"Fine words butter no parsnips". John Major.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 21:17 »
We gave up on the spray & went for slathering all legs in petroleum jelly every other night for a week or so: the leg mites couldn't breathe, the rough scales were softened and fell off on their own, the humans had lovely soft hands....

If you pick them out 1 at a time when they have settled. it's easy to do them all (shut pop-hole, open other door, lift out chicken & treat, put on ground. When coop empty, reopen pop-hole)
ManicMum

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 22:32 »
I googled the product and it looks like it is a 'topical' treatment (i.e. just on the surface of the skin) so wouldn't have a need for egg withdrawal.
Just For Scaly Legs works in 3 ways:
1) Suffocates the Scaly Leg Parasites instantly, resulting in death
2) Provides immediate relief against itching and irritation
3) A synergised blend of repellents and natural oils provide a protective coating to prevent further infestation of the affected area

Some other treatments for scaly leg mites are 'systemic' meaning they get into the bird's blood stream.  In that case there would be an egg withdrawal time.  It's usually 7 days but depends on the product.

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 23:56 »
I googled the product and it looks like it is a 'topical' treatment (i.e. just on the surface of the skin) so wouldn't have a need for egg withdrawal.
Just For Scaly Legs works in 3 ways:
1) Suffocates the Scaly Leg Parasites instantly, resulting in death
2) Provides immediate relief against itching and irritation
3) A synergised blend of repellents and natural oils provide a protective coating to prevent further infestation of the affected area

Some other treatments for scaly leg mites are 'systemic' meaning they get into the bird's blood stream.  In that case there would be an egg withdrawal time.  It's usually 7 days but depends on the product.

Frontline Cat spot on (4 drops on the skin at the back of the neck) is also an effective treatment and is topical.
HF
Truth through science.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 00:51 »
Frontline Cat spot on (4 drops on the skin at the back of the neck) is also an effective treatment and is topical.
HF

You're quite right, HF.  I thought Frontline was a systemic treatment (applied to the skin but goes through the whole body) but I just looked up the data sheet and it is definitely topical.
http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Merial_Animal_Health_Ltd/documents/S3811.html
Fipronil is a member of the phenylpyrazole family of non-systemic insecticides/acaricides, which acts by blocking the GABA receptor to kill the target parasite on contact... After the topical application of FRONTLINE Spot-On Cat, the products will spread from the site of treatment to cover the entire surface of the animal within 24 hours. After application, absorption of fipronil through the skin is negligible.

I will never doubt you again.  Now where's my apple pie?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 00:56 by Lindeggs »

question
Scaly leg mite treatment???

Started by Pretty Chick on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post November 23, 2015, 22:25
by TashaH
xx
Treatment for Scaly leg Mite.

Started by orchardlady on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 22:05
by orchardlady
xx
When is the best time to handle hen for scaly leg treatment?

Started by LivvyW on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 22:39
by Squibbs
xx
Egg withdrawal.....how long?

Started by cathangirl on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 15:14
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 40 queries.