Aggressive cockerel advice please

• 10 Replies

katep

Aggressive cockerel advice please
« on: March 19, 2010, 12:11 »
Hello,
I have a cockerel aged about 6months, he has always been friendly and easy to handle, but since his hens have come into lay, he has started to attack me every time I go into the run.  Is this just a "new husband " thing that will stop in time, or is it likely to continue?  Might I have to let him go?  

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Aggressive cockerel advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 12:41 »
none of my cockerels are aggresive towards me luckily, but he obviously sees you as a threat and thinks that you are after his girls. Some people on here with aggressive boys have tried just grabbing them and holding them down, others have dunked them in a bucket of water, some just watch their backs but others have found that they can't cope and have to rehome their boys.
When you take out their treats have you tried offering them to him first?
Staffies are softer than you think.

goodegg

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 16:16 »
ive got ten cockrels and one is like that the others are fine the one i got is really terrible if you turn your back to it ,it will jump up your back its going to the pot ive tried all the  different ways to tame it down but it just gets worse its like a guard dog .but its got to go its not safe at all.

katep

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 23:06 »
thanks for the responses.
I do offer him treats but he either won't take them now or pecks so hard i have to drop whatever it is.  he's such a beautiful boy, but is becoming scary as soon as i turn my back he flies at me and when he gets me it hurts!  what a wimp eh being afraid of a bird!  oh dear!

dizzylizzie

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 23:48 »
Ive had my cockerel since he was tiny. He was hand tame and often sat watching me type, he would sleep in the house at night and jump into my arms every time he saw me....now he is a beautiful big boy and i have to watch my back with him. I take a bamboo cane in the garden with me and just wave it about when he comes to have a go....i just make sure ive never got my back to him now thats all :unsure: Hopefully things will settle down when the erm..'busy' spring months have passed and he is a bit calmer :blush:

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 04:13 »
thanks for the responses.
I do offer him treats but he either won't take them now or pecks so hard i have to drop whatever it is.  he's such a beautiful boy, but is becoming scary as soon as i turn my back he flies at me and when he gets me it hurts!  what a wimp eh being afraid of a bird!  oh dear!

You need to drop the food for the hens at his feet so he gives it to them and not you rather than giving him treats but I've found there are just some cockerels who can't be cured once they start this behaviour.

Sorry but you could be in a losing battle.
HF
Truth through science.

lukasmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 09:31 »
a friend of mine had a similar problem with one of her cockerels, and he was destined for the pot. She went down all ready to do the deed, and he was as sweet as could be, and has been like that ever since.  She just showed him a knife!! ;)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 19:35 »
One of Caras cockerels escaped the pot as he kept bringing her worms to eat  :lol: :lol:

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 21:20 »
males eh! :tongue2: always nice when they know there in trouble

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 08:53 »
It s always worth trying the things mentioned on here to 'tame' your cockerel but sometimes it just does not work. I had to cull a cockerel for this reason. They can be very nasty and cause some bad injuries if you aren't careful. Good luck ::)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

wildwitchy

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 11:03 »
I've got 3 boys- 1 runs away, 1 is lovely (very calm with hens & people) & the other one thinks i'm his hen (brings me food & dances)! He does have a habit at night time guarding the pop hole though, so when I shut it he rushes out and grabs my hand! It always makes me jump.  :lol: So I shut it with my foot before he can get there.

xx
Aggressive cockerel

Started by Rzlty on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 18, 2008, 14:24
by Vember
exclamation
My aggressive cockerel

Started by Sally J Smith on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 17:40
by shetan
xx
Aggressive cockerel

Started by Sassy on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 09:50
by Sassy
exclamation
I desperately need some advice on an aggressive Cockrel!

Started by Emmaski on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post October 23, 2009, 16:42
by too many girls

Page created in 0.401 seconds with 39 queries.