advise on incubators

• 4 Replies

dye29

advise on incubators
« on: May 29, 2017, 19:37 »
hi all im new to this game but after keeping hens now its just like any pet lots of looking after and keeping clean , im fancying buying a incubator and hatching some bantams what advise do you have on this from start to finish , i have purchased a book on this waiting for it to come but all advise is great , im wanting to know what incubator to get only want to do 4 eggs to start and how to use then keep chicks until releaseing in pen with big hens
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 19:57 by dye29 »

dye29

Re: advise on incubators
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 20:16 »
just purchased this incubator seems good brinsea Mini II Advance Incubator

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 14:22 »
Incubators can be very fiddly unless you have an all singing and dancing one. If you haven't got a cockerel you could try finding local fertilised eggs and using a broody hen. You can get eggs over the internet but this can be hit and miss unless you can get a recommendation. Plenty of folk are successful even with basic incubators but you need to know your stuff and have a bit of luck.  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

dye29

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 20:12 »
ye i plan to buy eggs in , my incubators does everything , will this be ok but 4ft long by 2ft wide and 2ft high for 6 chicks and can this go in garage , i dont like the idea of a heat lamp on 24/7 incase of fire so wood a 15w electric brooder be ok .
$_58.JPG

janz70

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 10:17 »
check ebay for eggs but do a local search and collect - they will have a better chance  of surviving and then leave them rest for 24 hours before incubating them.

I personally do the dry methodof incubation, whereby no water for humidity is added for first 17 to 18 days, then candle eggs, discard non growers, bump up humidity with warm water for the 5 to 6 days left until hatch. leave every chick in place until day 25 to give them all a chance to hatch but after then your unlikely to get any more.

Brinsea is a good make and it should serve you well - until you get the bug.

remember that hard part is looking after them once they hatch - check out home made brooders, a cardbord box and  a 60w red bulb is a basic type

xx
R - Com Incubators

Started by kooringa on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post March 13, 2008, 16:53
by chicken soup
xx
incubators

Started by ratter on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 14, 2009, 20:36
by meterman
xx
DIY Incubators

Started by MontyTom on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2007, 21:22
by MontyTom
question
Incubators - which one to buy?

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 22, 2011, 22:10
by Hayley'sHens

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 38 queries.