Are your logs cut ready for winter

• 50 Replies

rowlandwells

Re: Are your logs cut ready for winter
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2017, 19:45 »
from experience I sharpen my own saws by hand but after several times sharpening the saw didn't seem to cut as it should so I asked my mate that is well into chainsaws and he told me to get a saw gauge that fits  over the gain and you file down the guide this keeps the chain from ridding up and helps cutting so I bough one of those guides and filed the guides after that the saw was like cutting butter

maybe this mite be a bit of useful info to all our chainsaw users?

PS
 I think stihl  is the best buy in chainsaws although I have two Husqvarna's that are equally as good had no problems only to replace the chains one is ten years old still going strong  :D

jezza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2017, 20:24 »
hi have just seen on a news clip a inquest about a tree surgeon who was killed on 15th of February with a chainsaw that kicked back  please remember to wear protective gear when using chainsaws, I know people who think they are invincible when using chainsaws and get very aeriated when I tell them that chainsaw trousers are cheaper than  half a day out with an undertaker, it was drummed into us at college to wear safety gear the tutor forgot he tried sawing a piece of wood with ice on it the saw slipped into the top of his leg he bled to death within a few minutes    jezza

Aled

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2017, 09:41 »
Good advice jezza.
Now my logs are nicely stacked and sorted, but there has been a change in circumstances regarding kindling. Until last year we had a recycling tip on our doorstep, and I'd visit the bottle bank, and at the same time take a load of wood off cuts to cut into kindling. That recycling place has closed and I don't have access to those wood off cuts as often as I used to.
Cheers
Aled

cc

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2017, 13:53 »
Looking good. AND some sycamore (aka weeds) to cut down close by. I need to use the bit between the garages first. For a start of I have idea what type of wood is at the back? And next time I will it build it higher. After all you can't have to much firewood just to little space to store it!!
20171024_102001.jpg
20171024_102046.jpg
20171024_102719.jpg
20171024_102023.jpg
20171024_102009.jpg
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 15:47 by cc »

Aled

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2017, 14:19 »
Looks good cc.
Cheers
Aled

rowlandwells

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2017, 19:56 »
i to seen the inquest on that poor chap who unfortunately lost his life only doing his job cutting trees although I have been using chainsaws for many years both cutting wood for the fire and hedge cutting in the winter months

chainsaws need to be treated with respect there not a thing to be used and abused having said that two years ago I was splitting a large piece of tree wood with a not so good iron wedge my wife and grandson where standing watching a short distance away I struck the wedge with some force with a sledge hammer and the wedge flew out hitting my wife in the eye

I thought the worst when I saw blood coming from her head luckily the wedge had struck her just above the eye damaging her glasses leaving her with a black eye for several days  possibly the glasses saved to much damage

it really shook me up for several days and made me more aware of safety when cutting any wood I also use a large axe that is razor sharp for hedge cutting that would certainly take ones leg so always thing safety and don't cut corners when using your chain saws

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 30 queries.