Tetra pack Module Trays and Seed Trays

• 3 Replies

Zippy

Tetra pack Module Trays and Seed Trays
« on: June 10, 2010, 11:13 »
Apparently, 500 million plastic plant pots are made every year (The Rubbish Diet: BBC promotes Plant Pot Recycling); most of which end up in landfill every year. Clearly this is a mismanagement of limited resources and makes no sense. Even my own fellow gardeners leave vast amounts of module trays, plant pots of all sizes and plant labels on the Freeby Table – because they are dirty - and I have not felt the need to buy a plant pot for a good many years.

I was looking at the containers we throw out every day which could be used as plant pots and I came across the Tetra Packs, which we buy our Soya Milk in. There is no recycling facility for these cartons in our area (county) so we throw these out, but I had a light bulb moment and came to an idea that would give them another life before throwing them out.

Module Trays
Take a Tetra Pack and place it on its largest side so it looks like a seed tray.  Take another Tetra Pack and cut division sides with interconnecting slots (think of those old ice cube trays). One Tetra Pack makes 6 nice sized modules for sowing.

Planters
Now put the Tetra Pack on its narrow side. Deep enough to sow leeks and have them grow on to planting size I wonder?  The Tetra Pack the right way up – deep enough to grow container grown Early Carrots?

There must be secondary uses for many items that just go into our rubbish every day if only we think outside the box.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Tetra pack Module Trays and Seed Trays
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 11:28 »
I have been talking about using plastic milk bottles for years.
Cut in half, the bottom makes a good mid size pot  for potting on of many things, and nine of them stand nicely in the blue open weave plastic trays that the chinese take away throws out.
and the tops I sink next to plants for watering into  :)

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 11:56 »
Hi Zippy, I also use my soya tetra packs as pots. I cut them in half, make holes around the bottom and sides and use for early toms and peppers etc, Luckily I can use both ends as my greenhouse thing has wire mesh shelves so the spout on the top goes through a hole and allows the pot to stand normally. Because they are square you get more on the shelf so less wasted space :) I think I only have 6 or 7 true plant pots and 3 module trays and these get reused every year, wouldn't think of throwing them away.
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 13:00 »
I try and reuse everything including Tetra packs which make fine plant pots and you c an adjust the depth to suit the plant.  I use plastic milk cartons to make plant labels or you can make pots out of the bottom and I like the tops for funnels or for plant waterers.  The empty ones left whole have measurements on so they get use as measuring jugs for plant food mixing or weed killer. Good stuff  :)

I don't buy those expensive root trainers as good old bog rolls do the job very well

I think some folk are just too well off  :D

xx
Seed trays

Started by noshed on Frugal Living

13 Replies
Last post February 26, 2007, 18:55
by Ann
xx
Wilks selling off seed trays.

Started by miggs on Frugal Living

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2017, 20:12
by greenjay
xx
Right, I've got the cat litter trays now what?

Started by Yana on Frugal Living

26 Replies
Last post April 01, 2014, 07:59
by Yana
xx
Trays from greengrocers

Started by keith1965 on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 17:21
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 36 queries.