Christmas dinner produce - what you got?

• 25 Replies

greenjay

• Experienced Member
Re: Christmas dinner produce - what you got?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 21:06 »
potatoes, parsnips, leeks, cabbage and maggoty carrots ( if they are salvageable at the time of lifting)
don't think there will be any broccoli left and the psb is a while off. hopefully.

snowdrops

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 21:17 »
We as a family have Sprouts Cauliflower spuds leeks Parsnips cabage and pickleed onions. All grown by my 9 year old Grandson on his first plot. (ok its a small bit of my allotment and he has had some help ) But and it is a big but. He has done the majority including some of the best weed removal I have ever seen so this year is the year Sam provided the veg for three seperate festive feasts. Well done that young lad

That’s a fantastic achievement & everyone needs a bit of help, I know I most certainly do.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2017, 21:38 »
Not used but available sitting in the plot will be:
Swede (those in the know will be surprised at this)
  :lol: :lol: At last!

I still have a some spuds in store, leeks, kale, sprouts and swede on the plot, some fresh red cabbages hanging in the outhouse - plus some in jars  :D Frozen fruit for either a cheesecake or Pavlova, as we don't do Christmas pud here.
So I don't think we'll starve  ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2017, 06:58 »
I forgot the pickled red cabbage and shallots in my previous post!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2017, 14:04 »
I think you'll need a spare wheelbarrow to get all your produce home from the plot on 24th December DD!

As I'll be travelling to be with Mum, I shall try to fit some parsnips and spuds into the suitcase, but it might be a bit of a squeeze!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Henwoman

• Rainbow Cottages in France
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2017, 17:00 »
Salad in the polytunnel for the prawn cocktail, red cabbage and butternut squash to go with the roast duck breasts. 
Sandra

Mr Dog

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2017, 22:03 »
Potatoes for boiling and roasting, onions, parsnips, carrots, turnips and apple sauce for dinner. Pickled onions, cabbage, beetroot and chillies plus various chutneys, relishes and savoury jams (tomato and chilli jam being a real discovery this year) to eat with the obligatory family buffet later in the week.

And still in the ground (hopefully surviving the current cold snap) or harvested: cabbage (red, savoy and 'coleslaw'), kale, leeks, swede, salsify, fennel, celery, celeriac, squash and j artichokes together with frozen and dried peas and beans (French, runner and broad) for other meals and soups. Frozen strawberries, raspberries, rhubarb and apple for individual and mixed fruit crumbles.

jambop

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2017, 14:39 »
Well I can come up with potatoes, sprouts, leeks, onions, cabbage , broccoli, onions, garlic, pak choi, spinach,chilli's and wallnuts... I am unsure if all will make an appearance on the day :)

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2017, 16:34 »
We as a family have Sprouts Cauliflower spuds leeks Parsnips cabage and pickleed onions. All grown by my 9 year old Grandson on his first plot. (ok its a small bit of my allotment and he has had some help ) But and it is a big but. He has done the majority including some of the best weed removal I have ever seen so this year is the year Sam provided the veg for three seperate festive feasts. Well done that young lad

That’s a fantastic achievement & everyone needs a bit of help, I know I most certainly do.
He has been diagnosed with what I call arsoleitus. One of these new fangled problems kids now suffer from aka adhd or xbox dependancy. He loves working on his bit and has a sense of purpose for a change. our asosiation has an award ceromony every year and he gained best young gardener 2017. I only wish more kids could have his diversion.
May the fork be with you

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2017, 09:25 »
Shedmeister, well done to your son. He has that love of growing that will see him through life, and it gets him outside in the fresh air with his hands in the soil... helps with all sorts... and he certainly deserves his award

I have just read right through this thread again and it is brilliant to see that so many people grow food all year round, not "close" down their plots for the Winter, as lots of people on our site seem to do: they don't know what they are missing!!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Goosegirl

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2017, 13:27 »
Leeks, kale and swedes to gather, some lovely joints of meat given to us, home-made preserves either in jars or the freezer, and we use local produce for any veg we don't have. Christmas Day we're having guinea fowl and for New Year it's a goose!   
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
eating my own produce for dinner..yay! :)

Started by Greendream on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 12:05
by Broadhaven
xx
Another one for the Christmas dinner list.

Started by SAMANTHA MOLLY on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 06:18
by Rangerkris
xx
New Potatoes for Christmas Dinner

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 09:41
by matron
xx
so how do I get my sprouts for Christmas dinner??

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 21, 2009, 18:57
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 48 queries.