Have you ordered your seed spuds yet?

• 48 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Have you ordered your seed spuds yet?
« on: December 03, 2017, 08:35 »
...and if so, what have you got, she says being nosy  :lol:

I've gone a bit off piste this year and ordered Lady Christl, Anya and Kifli, all due for delivery in January  :D

Lady C are for the plot and a few extra earlies in the greenhouse, plus they get raved about on here.
Anya because I grew them years ago, they were very productive and tasty, but somehow I've sort of forgotten about them since.
Kifli beaause I tried them this year, got loads, they are storing well and I really like them as well.

I might buy some small packs of others like Kestrel when The Range does its 3 for £5 offer, but I know they won't have the ones I have ordered.

Christine

Re: Have you ordered your seed spuds yet?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 08:58 »
Nah - can't be bothered to order online. It means waiting around for parcels and paying postage. Local garden centre has done us well enough over the years. So long as there are King Edwards in the mix the kids will be happy.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 09:13 »
Nice thread ;)

I ordered Pentland Javelins and Desiree, the old reliables, while the free p&p offers were on  :D

Now the bigger plot has been confirmed, I've been looking at getting 'something different', but can't see any free p&p offers, so probably just wait to see what Wyevale and Wilko have in, after the holidays.

al78

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 10:27 »
No, I can't see the point in ordering them now. They don't go in until late March, so no need to order until late January at the earliest, which will still give them time to chit. I've no plans to try starting super-early potatoes in a greenhouse.

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 11:00 »
I can certainly recommend Lady C, and this year I grew Kifli, and was impressed with the quality of the potatoes and the heavy crop produced.  I haven't grown Anya, so can't comment on that one.  I did try a few tubers of Manitou, a main crop red potato, and they produced a good, clean crop, and so this year I'm growing these instead of Desiree, which, for the past couple of years have been disappointing on my plot.
I think it often depends on personal taste, and different soils will produce different results, so each year I just do a trial row of about five that I haven't grown before, and if any of them prove to be better than my usual spuds I use the new one instead. That way you can be sure that you like the taste and texture, and that it will perform well on your own plot.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 13:45 »
I got free P&P and have the postman well trained in the art of hiding plant parcels  ;)

Having seed spuds in the shed in January gets me through the dreary early months in the year.  Just like sowing onions from seed on Boxing Day.  Yes I know there is no rush and it could all get done later, but it makes me happy  :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 13:59 »
I prefer to go to a local garden centre where they have them loose in a box so you can pick out the size and the quantity you prefer.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Mr Dog

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 16:38 »
Taking advantage of Cyber Monday free p&P, the usual Anya and Picasso + some Sarpo Kifli to try.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 16:47 »
Sarpo mira and axona for me. If you want specific varieties they might not be available later.

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 17:21 »
yes already ordered my next years seed about a month ago Cara for main crop and some charlotte I always buy some early varieties from our local garden centre they sell there seed the old fashioned way you help yourself picking what you want

not sure on what early variety to buy got plenty of time they don't usually have the seed till the end of January there's not much difference in price buying from my usual supplier to the garden centre even counting the delivery charges about £2quid in it

I usually get my main crop seed delivered around early February and box them up I don't know if that's a good idea as some of my friends plant there seed straight from the packet or bag but I've always boxed my seed to chit prior to planting  :unsure:

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 18:52 »
Just 1kg Ambo online as hard to get hold of. Will buy Charlottes locally and that's it!

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 19:44 »
Saved enough from this years crop all nastie and beastie free.
May the fork be with you

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 23:23 »
We're only growing first earlies this year. Our local garden centre charges by the bag and you can mix and match to your heart's content, so we're basically going to a grow as many varieties as they stock, just for the novelty!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 13:22 »
Lady Christl did very well for me this year (grown them before but they do have to contend with PCN on my plot and for some reason they resisted it far better than when I've grown them in previous years.)

Don't order online because I've only got the space for first earlies, although I might try growing a few in containers in the GH if only to do something with this years spent MP compost (it will be suitably enriched of course.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

AnneB

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 14:13 »
I will be getting mine from our local potato day in February.  They haven't produced their list yet, but they normally have a very wide choice and excellent prices.

xx
Seed potatoes ordered

Started by The Golden Heap on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 06, 2014, 08:42
by gavinjconway
xx
Seed Potatoes Ordered - Right Delivery Date?

Started by MickyB on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 12, 2014, 17:23
by Paul Plots
xx
Does anyone use their own Spuds for seed??

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post January 11, 2009, 18:40
by AndyRVTR
xx
Seed spuds

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 13:08
by Sweet Pea 2

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 56 queries.