Allotment Chickens How Many?

• 6 Replies

robinson

Allotment Chickens How Many?
« on: June 20, 2009, 19:17 »
HI, I have just joined having been browsing for some time!  As a family we have taken on an allotment and there are several others that have chickens.  However, we were wondering if we should just go for it and get the 8 girls that we want to have or should we start with 2 to ensure the coop is foxey proof, or will we give ourselves problems gradually introducing more birds?

Vember

Re: Allotment Chickens How Many?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 19:40 »
Hi Robinson

Welcome to the Hen House :D

If you've got the room then I'd get them all now :) Introducing birds at later stages can cause problems.

Have a good read through this post first and get the run & coop fox proof before hand :D

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=25998.0

Sarah :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 20:14 »
or should we start with 2 to ensure the coop is foxey proof,

Do you mean you' might put just two hens in the run to see if they get taken by a fox to test if it's fox proof ?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 20:16 by Aunt Sally »

karlooben

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 20:34 »
i would go for it and get the 8 birds but i would also suggest that if you are new to keep chickens then why not just go for 4 birds until you know more about what u are doing , i can safely say give me 1000 horses to my girls anyday  :lol: :lol: i am not trying to scare you of but they can be complicated { i.e illnesses etc } birds when they want to be if it wasnt for ppl on here i woul not know where i would be without thier help .

p.s before last august i had never even touched a chicken let alone look after one and i jumped in the deep end an got 14 ex batts in one go  :lol: sometimes i regret it sometimes i dont .

also there really isnt anything thats truly fox proof if they want to get in then they will thats why they are cunning your best bet is to look at what ever ppl on your site has done an try to copy them an get as much advice from them as poss, but if your truly stuck just come on here an we will more then happily help you out .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 21:12 »
Hi robinson. If you can describe your run to us - materials, design, etc, we'll be happy to tell you if a fox is likely to get in.
Better than risking a couple of chickens. At very least they would be terrified of a fox getting anywhere near, and worst case is not a pleasant one for them or you.

Rob 8)

karlooben

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 21:24 »
or better still can u put pics up  :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 21:42 »
or should we start with 2 to ensure the coop is foxey proof,

Do you mean you' might put just two hens in the run to see if they get taken by a fox to test if it's fox proof ?

Thats what Im reading too? Can you explain for my (admittedly untrained) way of thinking?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

xx
chickens on allotment

Started by debs1963 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 01, 2014, 12:04
by Sassy
xx
chickens on allotment

Started by snow white on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 23:46
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Allotment for chickens

Started by eddy on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 21:34
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Chickens on the allotment

Started by MontyTom on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 24, 2006, 00:24
by muntjac

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 39 queries.