Achillea

• 5 Replies

mrs bouquet

Achillea
« on: August 14, 2018, 19:56 »
I fancy having these in my garden next year.   "Summerwine" is a beautiful colour, as are the pastel shades as well.   They always remind me of tapestry work,  (which I hope my flower beds look like  ::)
Will they do alright here in the shallow top soil, and will they need to be staked.  Somebody told me they are prone to mildew.  Are there any other things to be aware of  before next weekend,when I am going to a brilliant plant fair.    Thanks,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Beloved Porcupine

Re: Achillea
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 21:03 »
Mine are growing on heavy clay and seem to do fine.  I did use a cheap grow-through support for one large plant this year (it worked a treat).  I find them pretty easy going but do dead-head them to keep them tidy / flowering.  I even grew a bunch from seed (v easy) but not all have flowered this year (may have been the weather?), so there is something to look forward to next year  :D

Good luck and have fun picking out a good 'un!
I can resist anything except temptation.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 10:01 »
Hope you find some colours you like.  They do seem to stay up alright in a mixed planting but in my somewhat limited experience, flop a bit and have stems then growing up at right angles again, if they are on their own and not suspported
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 12:11 »
Thanks for your replies.   I bumped into a couple of friends the other day, who were pointing at all the yarrow in our grass verges.   One lady said, she had a white/yellow plant which has seeded everywhere, and wished she had never clapped eyes on it.  Do they all self-seed that much ?  thanks, Mrs Bouquet

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 15:09 »
Thanks for your replies.   I bumped into a couple of friends the other day, who were pointing at all the yarrow in our grass verges.   One lady said, she had a white/yellow plant which has seeded everywhere, and wished she had never clapped eyes on it.  Do they all self-seed that much ?  thanks, Mrs Bouquet

I wish the pretty coloured ones were that prolific... the seed I saved didn't germinate at all from a red one

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 19:45 »
Oh No.  :mad:  Mrs B

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 39 queries.