Drainage issue - Any ideas?

• 20 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Drainage issue - Any ideas?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2017, 12:52 »
Hi Aidy, glad to know it's not just me. I drove down Yeadon Way the other day and saw some allotments from the road. Is this where your plot is? There was one with a huge Jolly Roger on a flagpole!
Nope, that is Bridge Farm, they also had in the past major flooding during wet spells they dug a ditch about three feet wide and several feet deep which runs along side Yeadon Way, laid drainage piping etc down plot paths, its has improved somewhat but it is still wet, a good friend of mine is on there and I suspect it maybe his flag as I know he has a flag pole  :D
The only site I know which is not too bad for flooding is Shepards Roads in St.Annes, most others like Mythop Road in Lytham and pretty much all Blackpool ones flood.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2017, 21:26 »

Any time I have been in the area around Blackpool, everywhere looked and appeared to be pure sand, it looks as if I was wrong!

In my area it is solid grey clay, great for puddling the canal with!
STOP, and smell the roses!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2017, 08:01 »

Any time I have been in the area around Blackpool, everywhere looked and appeared to be pure sand, it looks as if I was wrong!

In my area it is solid grey clay, great for puddling the canal with!
You are in fact correct jim!
Most of the Fylde from Kirkham across to Poulton-le-Fylde is reclaimed beach. If you look at very old maps they were seaside towns so to speak. The fylde is perhaps a little like Holland, it is low lying ground and there is a clay bed not too far down  but the water table is high, couple of spits down and you hit water. There has been total cock up by building companies and houses have literaly sunk. One famous one was build opposit Stanley Park here in Blackpool, the whole estate sank.

Goosegirl

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2017, 10:24 »
I live further up the coast from Aidy (just south of Morecambe Bay) in an old cottage built on a rather exposed and flat area consisting of reclaimed moss land. Here, the soil comprises of alluvial silt due to the area being constantly flooded by the sea, along with occasional pockets of peat that originated from ancient trees capable of surviving the harsh conditions at those times when the coastline was further out. When I dig a hole or trench I have about 4"- 6" of top soil then there's just grey silt so all the farmers' fields are drained by dykes and sometimes moled-out. My flower garden area has been cultivated for many years, but the back area where I have my raised beds for veg has been almost under water this autumn! All I can do is add as much grit and fibrous material as I can, but the grass paths just splosh under my feet.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jezza

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2017, 14:46 »
hi it looks like there is a modern housing estate at the other side of the recreation  field it might be worth looking at there drainage plan its probably non excistant as most new housing developments let the water run off on the surface and go to the lowest point which could be your allotment, if your allotment is local authority owned they are obliged to keep the land in good order jezza

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2017, 20:01 »
Hi Jezza. The housing estate is on ground which is a bit lower than our allotments so that's not the reason for the drainage problem. However I think the allotment is local authority owned and I didn't know that they have a duty to deal with this sort of thing. Thanks for the heads up on this. Could be a great bit of news!! Thanks Jezza.😁

xx
Drainage

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 00:04
by woodburner
xx
Drainage

Started by Learnerlady on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 19:08
by Learnerlady
xx
Drainage

Started by Heifer73 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 08, 2007, 08:58
by Heifer73
xx
crocks drainage

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 30, 2007, 21:25
by shaun

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 44 queries.